Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried Seabands for travel sickness?

(13 Posts)
Rafaella Wed 02-Mar-05 13:08:21

My ds suffers from travel sickness in the car. I don't want to give him medicine if I don't have to. I've read about sea bands that press on an acupuncture point on the wrist and are supposed to help. Has anyone used them. Do they work? thanks

NomDePlume Wed 02-Mar-05 13:11:48

DS2 used to suffer from terrible morning sickness, any journeys more than 30 mins and he would vomit . We used these sea-bands and found them great. It looks like DS2 has now outgrown his motion sickness (at 11) and so we don't use them anymore.

vict17 Wed 02-Mar-05 13:15:54

Hi rafaella. I have used these bands since I was young and i can honestly say that they really worked for me. I don't dread travelling now like I used to. They aren't 100 per cent but I would say at least 95 per cent successful. I also used them for morning sickness.

AuntyQuated Wed 02-Mar-05 13:17:51

dd uses them and found them very effective
boots do children's ones in bright colours

lapsedrunner Thu 03-Mar-05 13:39:49

I'm obviously in the minority. I used them for sailing and they had no effect whatsoever!

Marina Thu 03-Mar-05 13:40:52

They seem to work for ds, aged 5.5

morningpaper Thu 03-Mar-05 13:42:04

I bought some last week for my morning sickness and they did nothing for me.

If you CAT me I'll post them to you - I don't want 'em!

Aero Thu 03-Mar-05 13:44:24

I used them for morning sickness and found them to be very helpful. I was a total skeptic too. So I expect they'd be great for motion sickness - worth a try anyway.

paolosgirl Thu 03-Mar-05 13:58:47

I tried them for the horrendous morning sickness I had with dd, and they had no effect whatsoever - apart from leaving little holes in my wrists from where the nodule thing dug in.

mears Thu 03-Mar-05 13:59:37

I found them excellent for morning sickness

roisin Thu 03-Mar-05 14:02:23

These worked fantastically well for us, despite my scepticism. We moved house and had to travel on windy roads more frequently. Immediately ds2 (3 at the time) started being sick. Very soon he was feeling sick within 10 mins of leaving home, and being sick within 30 mins of every journey. We got some travel bands - I was very sceptical, but was so desperate I was willing to try anything. Instantaneously he stopped feeling sick or being sick - it was amazing.

The effect lasted for about a year, then he started feeling a bit sick again. But soon grew out of it at that stage.

Btw we did try some medication on three separate occasions: I was horrified by the effect it had on the kids. It practically knocked them out, they were asleep within minutes of taking it and would sleep for about 30 mins, then they would wake up and be extremely hyper and just completely loopy really. I realise it doesn't have that effect on all children, but it makes you wonder what is in it, and for me it was preferable to cope with travel sickness than to have that.

Finally! A tip from a friend for dealing with travel-sickness, which did make our lives al ot easier: Line a small empty plastic container (ice-cream or margarine tub) with a nappy sack.

Rafaella Thu 03-Mar-05 21:47:21

thanks everyone - I think it's worth a try. That's a great tip Roisin !

jamiesam Thu 03-Mar-05 21:57:05

And when you've finished using them for sickness (they didn't work for my morning sickness either) they are great for keeping toddlers out of kitchen cupboards (wrap around two door knobs)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now