Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We're going to Lapland in December. Anyone been? Any tips?

(37 Posts)
LyraSilvertongue Sun 28-Sep-08 23:13:48

I'm so excited. We're going for three days with DSs (6 and 4). Staying in a fab-looking hotel where you can apparently see the Northern Lights.
Has anyone been? I've got no idea what to expect.

strummer Mon 29-Sep-08 01:24:20

You will have a lovely time.
Although our holiday came with thermal clothing, I was glad that we all had thermal long johns and a couple of pairs of thick socks on as well as the thermal clothes, oh and decent hat/scarves/gloves.
I didn't like the food much to be honest, but I am a very fussy eater.

hughjarssss Mon 29-Sep-08 02:27:51

Am very envy of you.
Its something we hope to do when dd is older, hope you have a great time!!

Will look forward to a report when you return smile

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Sep-08 09:30:11

Thanks smile
Strummer, so it will be very cold then? When did you go? What were the activities like?

marmadukescarlet Mon 29-Sep-08 09:47:28

We are going too! Where are you off to?

We are flying to Kittila and staying in a log cabin - for the food reason, very fussy DC! Need to be able to make the odd sandwich to keep them going. I think we are goinf for 4nights/5days. back on the 19th Dec.

We have a couple of sets of thermals each and ski hats/gloves/socks which I got at the end of spring in the sales.

The company we are going with provide all the outerwear, but I have some for DDs as they are both odd shapes!

DH is in Finland (working) today and will be checking with his client what the expected temp will be - he doesn't believe me it may be so cold.

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Sep-08 09:56:37

We're going to Rovaniemi (sp?) for two nights/three days, staying in a fantastic-looking hotel. It's full board so no cooking grin
The boys received a postcard from Santa this morning inviting them to visit him wink They're delighted but they want to go now.

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Sep-08 09:57:21

I think I'm going to need to buy lots of thermals.

marmadukescarlet Mon 29-Sep-08 11:19:02

We are full board too, but need the option of not eating reindeer stew and soup - used to have Finn AP she said they eat lots of these!

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Sep-08 13:57:33

I just told DS2 about the reindeer stew - he says he wants to try it because he's never had it before grin

DadInsteadofMum Mon 29-Sep-08 16:05:35

LS - most travel companies provide the cold weather gear, check what is included first. But even if they do as Strummer says take your own longs johns as well.

JHKE Mon 29-Sep-08 16:17:21

We went over xmas a few years ago and it reached -35 so it can get extremely cold. I would recommend Layers of clothes..thick socks or at least layer them... especially if going on reindeer or husky safari.. it gets colder in the open.

Are you hiring the boots as well as these are deffinately worth it.

Take some gloves, scarves and coats on plane with you... It may seem like common sense but when we went, there was a family that didn't.

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Sep-08 17:09:20

Thanks - this is all very useful information.

onceinalifetime Mon 29-Sep-08 17:24:34

We're thinking of going - Lyra and others, who did you book with?

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Sep-08 18:09:49

Ours is with Esprit. The cost is close to £3k for three days/two nights but ours is a freebie (we could never afford it otherwise).

onceinalifetime Mon 29-Sep-08 18:12:23

Thanks, I started Googling and was amazed how many companies do trips.....and how many are already sold out!

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Sep-08 18:14:51

I don't know about any of the other companies but Esprit's look excellent.

marmadukescarlet Mon 29-Sep-08 18:48:53

I am going with Canterbury travel, but Dadinsteadofmum recently said emagine (?) were the better of the two, having been with both. Shame he wasn't about earlier in the year when I posted asking for the best company! Many of Canterbury's short trips were sold out back in March.

I looked at loads of the others and Canterbury had all activities included, whereas some of the others you had to buy the husky/reindeer trips.

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Sep-08 18:56:17

Esprit's is all inclusive too.

NotCod Mon 29-Sep-08 19:01:32

buy some pretty iittaala(?sp) tea light holders

NotCod Mon 29-Sep-08 19:04:28

like these i haev the dark blue ones - the flame looks fab

LyraSilvertongue Mon 29-Sep-08 19:53:18

Lovely but prices look a bit steep.

strummer Mon 29-Sep-08 20:33:19

We went with Canterbury travel to Rovaniemi (sp) and it was lovely, very cold -30 when we went, but no wind chill, which was weird as it didn't seem to hurt the chest to breathe.
We went ice fishing, sledging, husky and reindeer rides, skidoos, cooking with mother christmas, it was a blast.
And best of all .... we won it! so it cost us very little.

DadInsteadofMum Mon 29-Sep-08 20:53:54

Emagine

Having been with both Canterbury and Emagine (dcs too wide apart) both are excellent and both were fully inclusive of reindeers, huskies, snowmobile etc. I just felt that emagine showed that little bit extra, e.g: your return plane is late so we are going to stay at the hotel and put extra dvds or games on for the kids (other companies guests had been there for 3 hours we had 45 mins), stories in the hut, cookie baking for the kids (then served up for all to eat that evening)

marmadukescarlet Tue 30-Sep-08 09:57:35

Thanks for the link.

I am soooo excited about going! More than the DC. We have booked to stay in an igloo for the night and I just cannot wait.

We really chose Canterbury as my DS has SN, inc mobility (uses a big pushcahir for long distances) as they were supposed to be the best for disability.

After we had paid our large deposit they became obstructive and unhelpful. They needed to know the exact dimensions of his wheels folded and open - he was 3 at the time and we weren't travelling for 10 months and he was due to get a new/bigger/more supportive one they were not at all understanding about this. I had to get a letter from my GP saying he was fit to go on holiday which was quite expensive and as we have comprehensive medical/travel insurance it wouldn't matter to them one bit if he became ill. Also, surely, no family would take a young child to such an extreme place unless they were well enough?

I am trying not to think about how, if they are so unhelpful already, they might be when we get there!

DadInsteadofMum Tue 30-Sep-08 10:51:55

Local staff will be very different, they are a variety of people (including teachers) taken on for what is a very short season. They get Christmas in Lapland and with both firms we found them to be superb and falling over themselves to be as helpful as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now