Talk

Advanced search

LONG car journey for weekend away.....

(8 Posts)
DanJARMouse Fri 26-Sep-08 12:00:09

We are travelling from Suffolk to Glasgow by car at the end of october for a family reunion weekend.

Need ideas on how to keep 3 very young children entertained for what could be anything from 8hrs up to 10hrs!!!

We plan on leaving at about 2am, so they can sleep for at least 4hrs of it!

Jessica is 4, Rebecca will be 3 that weekend and Daniel will be 11mnths.

Im really starting to stress about it now, but there's no backing out...... HELP!

slayerette Fri 26-Sep-08 12:09:52

A good variety of story CDs; lots of different types/voices to keep them engaged. Alan Bennett reading Winnie the Pooh, Stephen Fry reading Paddington would be good for the 4 & 3 yr old. Music/nursery rhyme CDs too. Lots of small snacks - healthy and treats. Make sure you have planned where you're going to stop for meals and make sure they get time for a bit of exercise at those stops.

If my DS is anything to go by, they will sleep more than they usually do during the day when they're in the car.

For the older ones, get those car tidies for the back of the front seats and fill them with little toys and teddies that they can reach themselves.

DanJARMouse Fri 26-Sep-08 12:12:06

FAB tips! We have set the route to stop at 2 service stations, one of which I loved stopping at as a kid because of the paly area!!!

Right, need to find cheap story CDs and easily transported toys!!!

cali Fri 26-Sep-08 12:14:00

In car dvd's are a real help too, we very occasionally go to dh's family, about 500 miles away and bought one for this reason. It gives them something else to do and keeps them quiet for a couple of hours.
(dd1 3yo loves them and even dd2 1yo will watch them)

biscuitsmustbedunkedintea Fri 26-Sep-08 19:56:06

Your local library will be able to help with story CD's

lindseyfox Sun 28-Sep-08 14:27:34

my nephew loves story tapes/cds, my sister got hime a tape recorder with those over the head, headphones so she didnt have to suffer the same stories over and over!!

bloss Sun 28-Sep-08 15:51:18

Message withdrawn

AbbiTravelExpert Wed 01-Oct-08 12:06:43

Have you got a LeapPad? There are lots of different types by My 1st LeapPad is designed for children aged 3 - 5 and there are loads of different games to choose from.

My 4 year old has been using his during long car journeys for over a year now and he loves it.

Woolworths, ELC, Mothercare and Argos all stock the toy (RRP about £12) and the games are sold separately. But, given the guaranteed peace and quiet it affords you on a lengthy car journey, I'd say it's worth the investment grin

Happy travels!
Love
AbbiTravelExpert

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: