Talk

Advanced search

Christmas abroad? Where did you go or where would you like to go?

(24 Posts)
TheBlonde Wed 24-Sep-08 17:58:19

I'm looking for ideas

TheBlonde Wed 24-Sep-08 19:47:33

bump

TheBlonde Thu 25-Sep-08 10:44:50

noone?

ComeOVeneer Thu 25-Sep-08 10:47:01

TBH I love being at home for christmas. Probably because as a child I lived all over the world but we always came back to England over christmas to spend with the extended family, so have lovely memories. If I were to go somewhere, it would have to be somewhere snowy.

andiem Thu 25-Sep-08 10:47:39

we have been to australia denmark and mauritius
we are off to oz again for 3 weeks this year
you can't beat christmas away imo

LouMacca Thu 25-Sep-08 10:55:52

Oh andiem you lucky thing!! Wish we were going to oz for xmas. SIL lives in Sydney and she is coming back for Christmas this year. Our turn to go there next year! smile

Would also love to go to Lapland!

Are you looking for somewhere hot?

TheBlonde Thu 25-Sep-08 11:41:04

Warm would be nice
We will go to lapland when the kids are older (GMa v keen to go)

BlingLovin Thu 25-Sep-08 11:44:00

South Africa? Same time zone and overnight flight so (relatively) painless with kids. Very warm. Children friendly. Just expensive to get to.

Otherwise I think I'd be tempted to go to new york and revel in ostentatious winter christmas!

Nicky1313 Thu 25-Sep-08 11:55:41

Tenerife is lovely, you would almost be guarenteed a warm and sunny Christmas Day?

TheBlonde Thu 25-Sep-08 11:59:36

yeah canaries are an option - never found the winter weather that great though

NYC is out (inlaws are there)!

herbietea Thu 25-Sep-08 12:04:13

Message withdrawn

TheBlonde Fri 26-Sep-08 08:05:32

thanks

Beetroot Fri 26-Sep-08 08:10:52

We went to Egypt and it was fab. Hot, and they make a huge thing about Christmas and New year
my friend went to Salzburg. They had a wonderful chalet, snow and toboggans. Culture (Mozart was born there) and Sound of Music was filmed there.

amazing water garden.

When we went to Salzburg I fell in love with it.
Have always wanted to go in the winter.

whooosh Fri 26-Sep-08 08:16:14

Been to Barbados many times over Xmas and year before last the weather was awful.Warm but cloudy and wet.

Gave it a miss last year but hoping that this year will be better.

Beautiful Island but not much to do-I would go to South Africa or Australia if it was my choice....

Hersetta Tue 30-Sep-08 13:59:24

I've been to the Dominican republic twice at Christmas and the maldives twice as well.

Both destinations were great with fantastic weather, though the maldives is my favourite place on earth.

Tortington Tue 30-Sep-08 14:00:32

went to the alps hated it

tell me about the dominican republic - dya think teenagers would like it?

WowOoo Tue 30-Sep-08 14:11:42

South Africa or Oz. Hawaii is fab too, just seemed to rain in the night while we slept, with sunny days.

Surely teenagers will love being anywhere different?
Have always wanted to go to Maldives , but little ones would get bored there, no?!

For shorter holidays I've been told Canaries good bet. My friend had a nightmare in Egypt last Xmas, children had food poisoning, but I think that was her foolish chioce of dodgy restaurant rather than the place itself!

Lucky you. I dream of sun, sun, sun...

hifi Tue 30-Sep-08 14:50:44

we are going here grin

squeaver Tue 30-Sep-08 14:52:56

hifi!! envy

We've done Oz twice at Christmas (pre-dd). Would go back in a heartbeat. Last year we did skiing in the US over New Year. Fun but exhausting.

Ohforfoxsake Tue 30-Sep-08 14:55:57

We've been to Oz a couple of times at Christmas.

Both times we've house-swapped - its a good time to do it, lots of people want to catch up with family which makes finding a swap easier.

Geenee.com is a good site.

Ohforfoxsake Tue 30-Sep-08 14:57:42

nice Hifi, but not really Christmas is it? I mean, where's the drizzle? wink

you lucky, lucky bugger grin

hifi Tue 30-Sep-08 15:03:11

i know grin

copycat Tue 30-Sep-08 21:33:34

Last year we went to Mexico (for the second time). Have also been to Kenya and the Dominican Republic at Christmas. Hope you find somewhere nice TheBlonde and, hifi, hope you have an amazing time smile

Hersetta Thu 02-Oct-08 13:50:01

Dominican republic would be great for teenagers, there are loads of activities (sports etc) organised at the hotels and if they are over 16 then can even go to the hotel disco. The hotels all tend to have great pools and of course the beaches are great.

Would definitely reccommend either the Riu or Iberostar group of hotels - we have stayed in their hotels 6 times in total in the Dom Rep and don't tend to look much further than their hotels when choosing our holidays. That said the Gran Ventana was also excellent.

Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now