Talk

Advanced search

Portable DVD players for long haul flights

(18 Posts)
2toddlersandme Sun 21-Sep-08 20:00:35

So I've been reading the wise words of mumsnetters who have done long haul flights previously and apparently portable DVD players are the only way to go. I'm going to NZ in a few weeks with my 2 year old twins (I know - we may not live to tell the tale). So do I really need to buy 2 portable DVD players? (sharing is a bit of a contentious issue round these parts at the moment). And will this cost more than the tickets? And is there any particular make that's better? And will the batteries last long enough to make it worthwhile? (And can I really cope with Upsy Daisy for 26 hours...grin)

You can tell technology really isn't my thing. But I will do anything to try and make this 'experience' more bearable both for me and my DH and any passengers sitting near us - you never know - it may be you!!! grin

jobschmob Sun 21-Sep-08 21:20:39

Ooh, I'm going in a few weeks too! Who are you flying with??

moondog Sun 21-Sep-08 21:22:18

They will have in flight entertainment systems in place anyway.

LadyMuck Sun 21-Sep-08 21:24:31

Check with the airline as some (only a few)will now give you power in your seat for laptops etc.

Your main issue is going to be battery power. For 2yos I think that you would need partable dvd size screen. Otherwise I would recommend one of the ipods which shows video. You can rip videos to ipod as well as download tv programs from itunes. Battery power on my ipod is 8 hours, where dvd player works out as 3 hours. And ipod is very light and portable. But I suspect that 2 might be too young.

Catper33 Mon 22-Sep-08 04:51:49

We are about to fly the other way from NZ to UK with our 2 year old and 7 month baby. We recently bought a portable DVD player (panasonic) a bit more expensive than some of the others, but reasonable, as the battery life is pretty good (up to 12 hrs depending on the settings you use). You can check your flights entertainment provision on the airlines website. We have found that there is nothing really suitable for our 2 yr old on our flight hence the DVD player. You can plug 2 sets of headphones into it so this may work???

Enjoy NZ.

2toddlersandme Mon 22-Sep-08 08:34:19

Thanks everyone.

Flying with Singapore Air & having a few days in Singapore before going on to Auckland (and then Christchurch where we're staying for 3 months grin). Good idea to check what entertainment they have.(At the moment there are times when only In the Night Garden will do...).

Who are you flying with jobschmob?

Thanks for that Ladymuck. My DH has an ipod that he is planning on taking but I worried too that they would be too young and manage to break it.

And thanks for the recommendation Catper. And 2 sets of headphones is a great idea. Do you live in NZ?

Anyway, currently fighting over Bob the Builder so better go and referee grin...

Catper33 Mon 22-Sep-08 09:50:01

2toddlersandme - We live in Wanaka on the South Island having emigrated from the UK almost 4 years ago. We are heading back to the UK mid Nov for nearly 3 months for a 'winter' Christmas!!!
Our 2 yr old is into 'Bob' so we have those arguments too albeit only with 1 boisterous toddler.

PinkChick Mon 22-Sep-08 09:57:43

tpysrus and places like that often have (ours do at present) a dual screen portable dvd player or a double dvd player for very reasonable prices!..try online?..but a long flight like that, you will have 'some' entertainment, just make sure you take your own head phonessmile..will save you forking out when you're mid flightsmile..have a lovely time.

jobschmob Mon 22-Sep-08 12:44:12

We are flying BA/Qantas-they haven't fared well on this forum but I didn't read it till after we'd booked!

2toddlersandme Tue 23-Sep-08 12:04:24

I flew longhaul BA to Japan when my twins were about 7 months old and found them absolutely fine. Really helpful actually.

Dual screen portable DVD sounds excellent idea - thanks PinkChick - will explore.

Catper33 - can I be really nosy and ask how you like NZ? I've actually been asked to apply for a job there (based in Auckland) and have no idea how I feel about it.

PinkChick Tue 23-Sep-08 12:35:16

You're welcome..another tip, something ive just done today (we have 5 hour flight sunday to Cyprus) is we bought dd her own little piece of hand luggage (bratz kinda thing on wheels with pully handle) and ive just been to a few shops and filled it with little things to do/eat/play with..tonight im going to wrap them all individually (we travel sat evening and stay overnight, dont fly till sat morn, so dont want her to 'see' everything when she opens itsmile)..ranging from packet of sweets, sheets of stickers, play doh activity from home bargains and most expensive was under dog dvd in sale for £5..i know there will be a bit of rubbish with all the wrapping, but dd will love it and will keep her amusedsmile..hope you get a good dealsmile

jobschmob Tue 23-Sep-08 13:10:25

Thanks 2toddlersandme, so much to have to worry about let only worrying about the carrier as well!

I am hoping to get by with inflight entertainment and our nintendo ds.

2toddlersandme Tue 23-Sep-08 21:02:32

Thanks again Pinkchick. That is a great idea. Have you any idea about the battery life on the dual screen DVDs?

Have a great holiday smile!

Catper33 Tue 23-Sep-08 22:34:34

We really love it here and are so glad we made the move. The best thing is to visit (as you are!) and see how it all feels for you and your family. Check out this link as there is a lot of info which may help. If you have any specific things you want to know please ask!!
Just remember it doesn't have to be a pernmanent move. If you decide to move here and find its not right you can always return home.

Enjoy the trip.

PinkChick Wed 24-Sep-08 13:44:28

Hi 2TAM, not sure if you go onto www.toysrus.co.uk, they should give you the info on them, but on our single one we would easilly get 2 or 3 (cartoon length)movies out of it, which is more than enough as they wouldnt sit and watch solidly for that lengh of time!..plus you can plug them in in car so you wouldnt use the battery if they watched on way downsmile

2toddlersandme Wed 24-Sep-08 19:45:31

Thank you again for being a font of knowledge Pinkchick.
And thanks for the offer of more NZ related info Catper - really pleased you are enjoying it. And good advice re taking a pragmatic not for ever view towards it.

Mumsnet, as ever, has all the answers grin

PinkChick Wed 24-Sep-08 19:53:16

LOL, full of useless information mesmilewink

2toddlersandme Thu 25-Sep-08 06:40:56

useful not less grin !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now