Talk

Advanced search

McDreamy or anyone else in Cyprus ..................................

(26 Posts)
mosschops30 Sun 21-Sep-08 14:30:33

Whats the weather like there at the moment? I am off to Paphos again on Wednesday and just thinking about what to pack smile

Also are the plug sockets the same there as the UK. Im sure I took my adaptor last time but didnt need it, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

TIA

mosschops30 Sun 21-Sep-08 21:40:17

bump

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 21-Sep-08 21:43:32

Went to Cyprus last year - the sockets were the same as here in the UK.

Cyprus weather website here

(envy)

mosschops30 Sun 21-Sep-08 21:48:04

dont be envy my fear of flying has returned and I am filled with doom grin wanna go instead of me grin

mosschops30 Mon 22-Sep-08 09:38:47

bump for weather

PinkChick Mon 22-Sep-08 09:43:38

OMG i was just about to start the exact same thread!!!..we're off to Nissi bay on Sunday and according to msn there seems to be lots of showers/morning/afternoon rainsad..please say theyre wrong McDreamy???smile..yes you can just plug in uk appliances there, we fell into same trap last year spending lots of adapters!

Hope its hot for both os us and hope you have a lovely holiday!smile..we're off to OCral bay next year so you'll have to have a look and tell me what its likesmile..crown horizon resortsmile

mosschops30 Mon 22-Sep-08 10:13:20

Hi pink chick smile have a great hols, Ive had an email this morning from a friend living out there who said theyve had some rain but its sunny again. Just hope it lasts and we get a week of sun, fingers crossed for us both.
Will try and get down to Coral Bay this time, we didnt manage it last time as just lay by the pool day after day

sunnylabsmum Mon 22-Sep-08 10:34:48

Sorry not McDreamy but I do live in Cyprus if its any help. Yesterday we had our first rain since April I think, it was a shortish shower and ok after that though rather overcast which is a change. Today it is a mix of overcast bits and sunshine. I'm wearing cropped trousers and tshirt if that helps. The children are still happlily wearing summer uniform and DD has not requested her cardigan yet so it must be still warm- she is famed for feeling the cold even when its hot iyswim!

Do come kitted out for Mossies, they can be a real pain. Plugs are the same as UK ones.

Have a great holiday

PinkChick Mon 22-Sep-08 10:35:11

yeah i dont blame you!..hope it is nice for us both, cost so much money id be so dissapointed if it was bad sad

PinkChick Mon 22-Sep-08 10:36:30

ooh we never got mossies last yearhmm..it doesnt sound'that' warm as im in cut offs most of time over here!??..whats temmp roughly??..we came in aug last year and it was mid-late 30's.

mosschops30 Mon 22-Sep-08 10:40:57

sunny whats the temp at the moment? Is it hot enough to sit out in a bikini grin

sunnylabsmum Mon 22-Sep-08 10:40:57

On sat it was around 30 but it is colder today and yesterday, I'd estimate around 26-7 at the moment- lunchtime.

At night it gets a bit colder, but I can still walk the dog in shorts and t shirt at 10pm unlike in England!!

Actually as we dont have AC we prefer this temp to when its hotter. You will probably find that you can stay outside longer and the water is still lovely and warm

mosschops30 Mon 22-Sep-08 10:41:34

26-27 sounds good to me grin

sunnylabsmum Mon 22-Sep-08 10:42:20

Sorry didn't get the bikini message....well (STICKS HAND OUT OF WINDOW!) I think you could but I'd wear a costume!

PinkChick Mon 22-Sep-08 11:14:12

where in Cyprus are you Sunny?smile..am packing now but not as excited seeing forecast, wondering if to travel in jeans..'just incase'???

priceyp Mon 22-Sep-08 11:36:21

Bring your jeans, but not sure if you'll need them tbh. We've been here since March and it's comfortable now. But that's prob because we're acclimatised. It's over cast today and I'm wearing jeans and vest top. But you might not think it's that cool iyswim! It's cool first thing (from 6-8) then cools down again in the evening. Put it this way, it'll still be better than the rubbish UK summer you (haven't) had! smile Loads of mozzies atm, bring your sprays!

sunnylabsmum Mon 22-Sep-08 14:09:59

Were down between pissouri and akrotiri so near to Paphos.

It may get windy towards the end of the week as there is a coptic gale forecast...only know this as DH is currently bobbing around in a yacht around the island and mentioned it!!

PinkChick Mon 22-Sep-08 16:39:15

yeah saw forecast say poss thunderstorms fridaysad..am gutted, i really hope the weather picks up for sunday onwards..we've been looking foerwar to this for so longsad

mosschops30 Mon 22-Sep-08 21:52:16

what the hell is a coptic gale <worried emoticon>

sunnylabsmum Tue 23-Sep-08 10:17:15

Here goes ....

The gales in Cyprus and the "Coptic chart"

The "Coptic chart" is named after one of the ancient religions and was devised many years ago in Alexandria (Egypt).

Many local officials, for example: officers from the Fisheries Department and the marine Police, have copies of the chart which give details of when storms are predicted and even many local fishermen keep a folded copy in their pockets!

The chart is fairly accurate and rains usually begin 72 hours, either before or after the given date. The gales usually set in from south-west and veer to the west and north west and last an average of 3 days. Those marked (*) or (xxx) are the strongest.

Rarely deviates more than 48 hours from dates.

11th of January El- kahira (*) Gale (xxx)
19th of January El- fedara-El kebira

Large feeder gale
28th of January un-named gale Gale
18th of February El-Shams (*)-El Seghria Small sun gale
( xxx)

10th of March El husson or El hasson (lasts double the usual time) Equinox Gale
20th of March El- Shams (*) El kebina Big Sun gale (xxx)
25th of March Hawa Wind Gale
29th of April Khamseen winds (hot and sandy) Sand laden W. winds
27th of September El saleeb winds cross winds
21st of October El Saleebish Crusade
28th of November El Mikness (*) Broom gale (xxx)-very strong
6th of December Kassim gale
20th of December El fedra el Saggira(light gale) El small feedre gale

Hope that this helps. In reality the less intense coptics are just a bit windier than normal, but if you intend doing sailing then it could be more important.

McDreamy Tue 23-Sep-08 19:52:38

Sorry only just got back from a trip to the UK! It's certainly alot cooler here tonight than it was last week but that's cooler in a nice way!!!!! BTW have worn my jeans home and haven't taken them off yet wink

PinkChick Wed 24-Sep-08 19:54:25

Hey guys...Whats it like today then? or bene like rather?..weather forecast is looking better although variable from site to site!hmm..have you had rain/showers???
smile

McDreamy Wed 24-Sep-08 20:12:04

There has been no rain here at all yet, it's been breezy, a really nice temperature.

McDreamy Fri 26-Sep-08 05:32:19

It's gonna rain today! Very dark and breezy this morning still warm though, just back from the school run in shorts and a t shirt!

PinkChick Fri 26-Sep-08 10:23:04

sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..i dont want to hear that Mc!winksmile..forcast says all sun no cloud or rain for next ten days (based on larnaca, cant get nissi/aiya)..so you need to be doing some anti-rain dances over there for mesmilewink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now