Talk

Advanced search

Checking in a car seat...how do you pack it?

(12 Posts)
Hayls Fri 25-Feb-05 10:45:35

Just a stupid question I suppose- I'm flying next week and taking my spare car seat with me. It's a 9months-4 year one with detachable booster seat so it folds almost in half. What's the best way to check it in? I don't have a uitcase big enough for it and I'm not sure if it'll get damaged if I don't pack it somwhow? I'll be on my own with dd, buggy, rucksack and suitcase so ideally it'll be easy to carry as well. Hmm, don't ask much ,do I?
Been racking my brain but it's not working this morning!

northstar Fri 25-Feb-05 10:48:20

hayls you will have to go to oversize luggage section after you check in. Make sure the straps are clicked closed or you could loose the head support bit if there is one. Also, if you are checking in buggys or similar make sure you remove any toys as they will be gone when you get them back! And your seat could be filthy! Sorry.

LIZS Fri 25-Feb-05 10:57:16

Can you either stash it in an extra large box from a supermarket (toilet roll or kitchen towel carton for example) or at least wrap it in bubble wrap and a bin liner, taped at the edges, to stop it getting dirty. Some airports have shrink wrap facilites at check in , at a cost.

Hayls Fri 25-Feb-05 10:59:14

Good point about the buggy, ta. I've always checked it in without even thinking about what's in the basket but will do from now on. I just bought this car seat to take with me when travelling but it counds like it might be more hassle than i thought!

Bouj Fri 25-Feb-05 11:01:22

I did the trip to Australia from London with ds, the car seat, 2 suitcases and the buggy. I just left it as is (I guess if you can fold it, it makes it easier) but they checked it in as oversized baggage, and didn't charge me. It came out fine the other end (looked rather amusing coming around the collection belt!!)

Hayls Fri 25-Feb-05 11:07:15

Wow, you're brave Bouj! My flight is only 1 hours and I'm being dropped off and picked up so it's not really a big event at all!

Bouj Fri 25-Feb-05 11:17:59

hmm, had no choice!! Up there with childbirth as the most horrific 24 hours of my life

Azure Fri 25-Feb-05 11:40:06

We just wrapped ours in a bin liner - not the most glamorous bit of luggage, I admit. It's survived a trip to to the States and one to Spain. We picked up hire cars at the airport both times and it was quick & easy to take off the bin liner and put the carseat in. We haven't been charged extra by the airline.

Cooperoo Fri 25-Feb-05 12:09:19

I live in Cyprus and my dd age 21 months and I have done 9 flights now mostly on our own. I always ask for a fragile tag for the seat when I check in but this is more for my piece of mind as I have no real faith they take any notice. Ideally I would wrap in bubble wrap however this has never been practical for me as we have to use the seat in the car on the way to the airport. As it is a spare seat I recommend wrapping it in some way. Stuff does get damaged on flights there is no doubt but we have never had a problem. We actually bought back the flimsy-est of kites at Christmas that a 'thoughtful' aunt bought us. It arrived in one piece. I friend used one of those huge laundry bags (like in Eastenders) to bring a mini rocking horse back for her dd and this arrived in one piece too.
Good Luck.

Hayls Fri 25-Feb-05 17:55:56

Thanks. I thought i Might try to fit it intpo one of the big bags you can buy from Ikea.

iota Fri 25-Feb-05 18:02:04

I checked in ds2's buggy when we went to Florida with Virgin (rather than taking it to the steps of the plane) and the staff gave me a huge strong plasic bag (self sealing) to put it in.

Perhaps you could check with your Airline as to whether they supply them.

ds1's little booster seat went though 'as is' with a label stuck to it.

Cooperoo Sat 26-Feb-05 10:28:25

Ikea bag sounds like a good idea. It will at least keep it clean etc.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now