Talk

Advanced search

XL Airways/Holidays have gone into Administration

(22 Posts)
jojoisamum Fri 12-Sep-08 07:11:13

Happened at midnight last night leaving 85,000 holiday makers stranded.

Hope no one from here is travelling with them.

CaptainUnderpants Fri 12-Sep-08 07:17:44

No but my sister works for them XL . Didn't see this coming sad

mrswotzisnotin Fri 12-Sep-08 07:38:04

Boomberg latest news

XL's website with information on what to do if you have a booking with them or through an agent or ATOL tour operator.

I expect the CAA will do an page later.

mrswotzisnotin Fri 12-Sep-08 07:42:27

These are big boys. They stopped the Caribbean route/dropped it about 2 weeks ago. They were in trouble.

mrswotzisnotin Fri 12-Sep-08 08:07:52

Its on the BBC news now.
They say people who were expected to travel today, should not go to the airport. Get in touch with who you booked with or look at the CAA website or the XL website.

Sorry CU about your sis. DH siad he listened to an interview with a pilot who got told at the airport at 1am this morning that he wasn't flying.

saffy202 Fri 12-Sep-08 08:18:16

What I hadn't realised was they also include a number of other companies 'under the banner' so these too have gone bust. They are: Aspire Holidays Limited, Excel Holidays,
Freedom Flights Limited, Medlife Hotels,
The Really Great Holiday Company (Cruise City), The Florida Skytrain, Transatlantic Vacations, Travel City Direct, Travel City International and Kosmar Holidays - some 'big' names

mrswotzisnotin Fri 12-Sep-08 09:14:47

I expect some people who booked Florida holidays through Travel City Direct will not be aware they are part of the same group straight away.

weblette Fri 12-Sep-08 09:16:28

Lots of the skiing companies use them but I've heard that Snowjet are already looking for another carrier to use. Might be worth checking...

AprilMeadow Fri 12-Sep-08 09:24:47

My dh owns a travel agency and has gone into work expecting a very stressful day!

He was totally stunned as he had had a meeting with someone from there this week and had no idea that this was on the horizon!

It's not so much the people that are 'forward bookings' its those that are in resort that i really feel for!

AprilMeadow Fri 12-Sep-08 09:27:05

Not all of them have been affected right now, but it will only be a matter of time before they are.

'A separate North East-based company operating under the Freedom Flights brand is not affected'

'"The CAA will make arrangements for those customers currently abroad who booked their holiday or flight with an ATOL tour operator to complete their holidays and fly home.

"All future departures with the XLUK tour operators and XL Airlines have been cancelled.

"Customers due to travel from the UK are advised not to go to their departure airport.

"Tour operator customers will be able to claim a full refund from ATOL." '

MrsRecycle Fri 12-Sep-08 09:30:10

Back in March, we booked our Christmas Flights for 7 people with them. Got up early and managed to get some flights on the Thomson website (hopefully they won't go into receivership) before the flights get full/increase in price.

But I agree April - my mum is in Greece and I am hoping she's not booked via Kosmar.

AprilMeadow Fri 12-Sep-08 09:51:32

I know its a very stressful time for those affected but please remember that it is not the travel agents fault.. Our General Manager got called a thief this morning shock it didnt have anything to do with him.

SweetApril Fri 12-Sep-08 09:56:08

We were due to fly to Greece with them next week. Absolutely gutted. sad

wannaBe Fri 12-Sep-08 10:00:46

I feel sorry for their employees, and for the travel agents. they will get a lot of grief from customers and they haven't done anything wrong. Even employees will have had no idea until this morning. sad

neverknowinglyunderdressed Fri 12-Sep-08 11:06:07

Oh dear. We booked a Mark Warner to Egypt for half term, 10 days ago which is flying with them. What will happen now? Travel agent doesnt seem to know anything?

CaptainUnderpants Fri 12-Sep-08 18:53:44

My sister who works in their call centre / booking centre got aphone call in the small hours that receivers had been called in. She went in at cleared her desk and was given her marching orders. She is owed her wages which she is unlikely to get. sad

mrswotzisnotin Fri 12-Sep-08 22:25:03

CaptainUnderpants - the trade union Unite represents hundreds of the 1,700 employees at XL who are expected to lose their jobs. It is expected that it will start pursuing the bankrupt company for redundancy payments

Was your sister a union member?

Lovingthepink Fri 12-Sep-08 22:57:29

We had booked to go to Florida with Travel City Direct at Easter. I have been so excited...and now so gutted. Paid deposit by direct debit so no protection on credit card..

Sorry about your sister, that's awful.

CaptainUnderpants Sat 13-Sep-08 08:01:50

Yes she is a union member as afr as I am aware , still when you have a mortgage to pay and now you dont have a job , its still a long wait to get money you are owed. She was applying for jobs yesterday like mad !

QOD Sat 13-Sep-08 08:19:06

we were going to Egypt in october with them.

mrswotzisnotin Sat 13-Sep-08 11:04:54

CU if she knows a little about longhau and the Caribbean, there are rumors that Monarch are taking over some of the routes. They already sell Jamaica and Cuba. Not sure if the are recruiting but worth some investiagtion as to who will pick up the slack.

CaptainUnderpants Sat 13-Sep-08 15:41:49

Thanks will pass it on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now