Talk

Advanced search

CentreParcs (Yet Again!!)-Shocked At Prices for August

(42 Posts)
Fimbo Wed 23-Feb-05 16:26:33

Have just had a quick look at the website and just about fainted at the prices for August (can only go during school hols). Cheapest accommodation cost is £999.00 It seems very expensive to me when the only activity that is free is the swimming pool or am I just being naive?

wordgirl Wed 23-Feb-05 16:29:27

I don't think you're being naive Fimbo. I think their school holiday prices are ludicrously expensive. But as it always gets booked up in the holidays it seems people are willing to pay...

Cristina7 Wed 23-Feb-05 16:30:15

I find such prices outrageous too. I know you don't pay as much for transport as for a holiday abroad but somehow because it's in the UK you expect the prices to be lower too. On the other hand, if you work out how much a holiday abroad costs once you've added travel insurance, airport parking etc it's about the same. At least with a holiday abroad you get to broaden your mind too and meet different people.

Tinker Wed 23-Feb-05 16:30:36

Is that for a week or fortnight? For how many?

Cod Wed 23-Feb-05 16:31:09

Message withdrawn

Tinker Wed 23-Feb-05 16:31:16

At least with a holiday abroad you're not at CentreParcs

Cod Wed 23-Feb-05 16:31:26

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Wed 23-Feb-05 16:34:04

For a week in late August (I was looking recently!) at Longleat for 4 of us we were quoted around £890 which to be honest, I didn't think was that bad (7 nights so it works out at £30 per person per night). BUT I say that because I looked at loads of holidays (in the school holidays) and found almost everything ludicrously overpriced.

I went out a few nights ago with friends and they have booked a Mark Warner in August for £4000 for a week. I nearly fainted!!

pinkdiamond Wed 23-Feb-05 16:34:29

Message withdrawn

Amanda3266 Wed 23-Feb-05 16:35:55

Yeah! I got the CenterParcs brochure too. Thought it looked quite reasonable until I realised that they were only quoting for Mon-Fri 4 night breaks - you needed to virtually double it to get the true cost of a week. needless to say it went straight into the recycling bin.

pinkdiamond Wed 23-Feb-05 16:36:20

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Wed 23-Feb-05 16:37:45

Message withdrawn

Fimbo Wed 23-Feb-05 16:39:16

I'm so glad its not just me that thinks the prices are crazy. Your garden shed sounds good to me Cod, tell me do you do breakfast or should we bring our own?

Tinker it was for 4 for a week in the very basic accommodation. There were some luxury models for about 8 that cost £3K, switched off at that point as I was in a daze.

Ds will only be 18mths by then and don't fancy taking him abroad as it will be too hot - typical Scots boy (although he was born in England) very pale skin!!

roisin Wed 23-Feb-05 16:39:18

We took the boys out of school and went for a weekend in January. We had a fab time, but we both agreed that it wouldn't be worth it to go in school holidays at the inflated prices, and also when it's busier and the queues are longer. Apart from swimming we mostly just rode bikes and walked in the forest bird-watching. There are plenty of places we could do that in August at half CP prices!

Fimbo Wed 23-Feb-05 16:45:41

Hi Aimsmum.. Keep thinking about you and that exploding chicken curry hope your mouth is ok. Still waiting for dh to sort Easter out hols wise, thats why I am trying to organise Summer hols so I can just email him and say this is when we are going!! Will let you know in due course. Who did you book your holiday through if you don't mind me asking?
(pc crashed last week and dh had to rebuild it from scratch so not been on email for ages)

chocfreeclary Wed 23-Feb-05 16:45:55

gosh fimbo that’s a lot isn’t it. Someone I know went to Center Parcs lately and I said wasn’t it dear and they said not (and quoted sthg reasonable - this was at half term too) but yes, I recall looking for summer school holiday and thinking well, no to that then.
We are going to a very nice cottage in Tenby for a week for £600 which I think is fine. Would go for two weeks but it was already booked. But that’s only £120 each, £100 if you include Gran, and travel and entertainment there is cheap.
And it’s got a washing machine! (a holiday essential in my view...how do people with kids manage in an apaartment in Spain for a fortnight????)

Fimbo Wed 23-Feb-05 16:48:16

Can anyone help with holiday cottages websites? Not fussed about where we go. TIA

Aimsmum Wed 23-Feb-05 16:50:54

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Wed 23-Feb-05 16:54:17

have a look at this campsite in Holland. It is attached to a water park and a theme park. Not sure about the price comparisons in the summer but last easter a week here was the same price as a weekend in CP in the UK. And that included the cost of the channel tunnel crossing. We went with Canvas holidays but key camp also go there or the site has its own accomodation

http://www.canvasholidays.co.uk/search/showcampsite-overview.aspQ_id_ENE01W

You get two hours a day free in the water park and all day free in the theme park (which is great for smaller kids btw), and that includes the rides, as part of the holiday cost

miranda2 Wed 23-Feb-05 17:07:56

We've just booked a week in a cottage (well, house - with washer dryer, stairgates and everything) in Norfolk, in autumn half term, with www.countryholidays05.co.uk (can't do links sorry!).They have a really good range of properties, some with pools. 1000 for a week in centreparcs is taking the mickey - everything is really pricey when you get there too!

Yorkiegirl Wed 23-Feb-05 17:16:53

Message withdrawn

wordgirl Wed 23-Feb-05 17:28:59

How did you manage that Yorkiegirl? According to my brochure it's over £800 for half term at Sherwood.

Yorkiegirl Wed 23-Feb-05 17:32:50

Message withdrawn

wordgirl Wed 23-Feb-05 17:37:19

Looks like you've got yourself a bargain Yorkiegirl!
We went at February half term because for some reason Yorkshire had different holiday dates to the rest of the country so we didn't have to pay the extortionate school holiday price. We had a great time and would like to go back but can't afford it normally.

jessicasmummy Wed 23-Feb-05 17:43:59

we checked it out for late august too - 2 adults and a baby - £1449.... needless to say we have booked butlins for the same week and got it for £278.00 half board!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now