Talk

Advanced search

Flying to Ireland and returning the same day

(14 Posts)
MindingMum Wed 10-Sep-08 20:32:55

A good friend of mine is living in Dublin (I live in the North West of England) and her marriage has suddenly and dramatically ended today. She is understandably falling apart and I have offered for her and her DS to come and stay with me and my family until she feels able to cope a little better. She is desperate for the company and support as she has no family over there but doesn't want to disrupt her little boy who has just started in Reception.

I am not very well travelled but the thought occured to me tonight that I could go and visit her but would need to return the same day/evening due to family and work commitements and a not very sympathetic DH.

How practical would this be to fly out in the morning and back in the evening, perhaps once ot twice a week for a couple of weeks, or is it a complete non starter?

misi Wed 10-Sep-08 21:24:26

not sure about the airports up there, but I have taken all my neices and nephews on their first flights from stansted to dublin. each time its been just for the day and had plenty of time over there, the last time we got an 7.30am flight out and the 8.30pm flight home. just managed to get him to our 'ancestral home' over there and about 3 eating places and the park with so much time to spare hmm
if its something you want to do then its do-able just depends on where the nearest airport is and the flight times I reckon

cmotdibbler Wed 10-Sep-08 21:27:06

I quite often go to Dublin for the day to see customers - its no problem at all, and all airports seem to have a good service to Dublin

misi Wed 10-Sep-08 21:29:00

blackpool only has one flight per day out at mid day back at midnight, liverpool has a good choice though from 6.30am right up to mid night ish back

MindingMum Wed 10-Sep-08 21:29:42

Thank-you misi, I am only half an hour from the airport and she is the same at the other end

MindingMum Wed 10-Sep-08 21:31:21

that's good news cmotdibbler

MindingMum Wed 10-Sep-08 22:23:09

misi - is it best to book online, can you recommend a website?

misi Wed 10-Sep-08 22:57:06

I only looked at ryan air and easyjet, easyjet don't fly to ireland though and others are expensive I think,

www.ryanair.com/site/EN/

misi Wed 10-Sep-08 22:58:15

and yes, often better to book online with a credit card, not debit card as CC's are covered by insurance and you get your money back if the company goes belly up where you don't if you pay cash or with debit card.

MindingMum Fri 12-Sep-08 08:35:48

does anyone know if it is possible to fly first class to Dublin or indeed any way of checking in as late as possible?

Sorry if all these seems obvious but am clueless blush

Buda Fri 12-Sep-08 09:00:02

There won't be first class on short flights and checking in late is not advisable as it is generally security checks that take time which is done after check-in.

Where in north west are you?

Airlines that fly to Dublin are Aer Lingus, British Airways, and Ryanair.

MindingMum Fri 12-Sep-08 14:01:21

thank-you Buda, I'm in the north west so either Liverpool or manchester are my local airports

bigfatbump Fri 12-Sep-08 18:29:42

Traffic to and from Dublin can be horrendous during rush hours so it would be worth avoiding these if you can, otherwise it's perfectly do-able.

MindingMum Fri 12-Sep-08 19:13:01

Thanks everyone for your support in this - will give it a go on sunday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now