Talk

Advanced search

How old before kids can go in their own hotel or B&B room?

(17 Posts)
elliott Wed 10-Sep-08 13:57:21

I am desperate for a night away in a hotel but have no one to take the kids and can't stand sleeping in the same room as them. Hotels with interconnecting rooms always seem to be of the 'luxury' type and a typical price is £350 per night for us all...this is unaffordable in our current financial situation (though I've done it before and I am getting desparate enough to blow our family holiday budget on a few nights away)

It would be so much easier if we could just go to a small inexpensive B&B and the kids could have their own room. So, what is the youngest you would contemplate doing this? In a small guest house in the UK?

nooka Wed 10-Sep-08 14:08:02

We have done it with our 7 (now 8) and 9 year old. They shared a double bed, so no worries about "getting scared in the night". They were about as far away from us as hey would have been at home.

WideWebWitch Wed 10-Sep-08 14:17:57

What is it you want most elliott? (sorry, missed the last t off your name earlier)

Is it to be cooked for? Or is it a view? Or just not to be at home? Or what? There MUST be a b&B with connecting rooms somewhere, where do you want to go roughly? And what's the budget? And criteria?

elliott Wed 10-Sep-08 15:09:22

A rest! [knackered emoticon]
Have come back from the summer 'holidays' (hollow laugh) far more knackered than I started. We had two self catering UK holidays which were good but not exactly restful. I fancy a bit of pampering. Well what I really fancy is a childfree break but that is impossible so it has to be the next best thing.
Criteria are: quiet, not too far to drive (from Newcastle) nice food (evening meal provided, or within walking distance and babysitting provided). probably in the countryside. The kind of B&B dh and I used to go to pre-kids. And that would be happy to have the kids of course.
Probably for a couple of nights October half term or failing that in that fallow period after Christmas.

Its hard to find this kind of thing on the web. I suppose I could just go through all my B&B books and phone them up individually. Perhaps that would be the best bet?
tbh I would be quite happy with the kids in a separate room(they are nearly 5 and nearly 7) but wanted to test out the MN barometer... Of course they will probably lark about and be up at 6, which might be difficult in an intimate B&B than in a big hotel...

Gipfeli Wed 10-Sep-08 15:21:04

Something like this ?

www.kingussiebedandbreakfast.co.uk/index.html

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 10-Sep-08 15:23:48

Hi Elliott

we do a child frinedly B&B just outside Lulworth Cove, we have had kids in spearate rooms from parents before, we always ask and if the parents are happy then we are happy.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 10-Sep-08 15:29:03

I reckon that there are some about, but they seem very hard to track down! (we stayed in one in York pre-dcs). However I have had the same result as you when searching on the internet. Some b&bs are quite small and might only have a couple of rooms, so you and dcs could easily end up next door to each other, with or without connecting doors. (and be the only guests in the place)

Another option we have considered is to share a room with dcs, but find someone with a lounge/sitting room on the same floor. In theory the dcs will be asleep when you go to bed. grin During the evening you and your dp would theoretically be able to relax in the sitting room with a drink etc.

Good luck with your search.

elliott Wed 10-Sep-08 15:53:54

OK trawling through this site:

http://www.friendly-places.com/categories/child-friendly/

(can't be bothered to do fancy link) and have found one or two possibilities. Not all my wish list in one place yet but I may be getting there!

I think my two threads have got muddled up - that'll teach me to start two at the same time! But I reckon even if we had separate rooms these kind of places would work out cheaper than a suite at a 'luxury' hotel.

Most problematic issue is working out how to have a peaceful adult dinner...

Zazette Wed 10-Sep-08 15:55:58

A friend of mine stayed here and liked it - they have a 'family room' which is actually a main room with a kingsize bed, and a small room with bunkbeds off it. No dinner though, and I don't know about restaurants round there (lots of gastropubs in NYOrks generally though, you'll find something not too far away).

what about going with friends with kids, so each couple can give the other a night off by babysitting?

WideWebWitch Wed 10-Sep-08 16:05:13

Let me have a think Elliott.

elliott Wed 10-Sep-08 16:10:17

zazette, that looks just the kind of thing, thanks! Now, if they only did dinner it would be absolutely perfect...or alternatively arranged babysitting.
See, I'd never have found that without knowing about it would I?

WideWebWitch Wed 10-Sep-08 16:28:16

What about this - has family rooms and food.

WideWebWitch Wed 10-Sep-08 16:38:05

this looks nice but I couldn'#t see whether they have interconnecting rooms.

What you really want is something like The STable block at Babington

I so know what you mean, being away self catering is rarely a break. We had a week at home in August and the biggest treat for me and dh was eating out for as many meals as possible so we didn't have to shop and cook.

elliott Wed 10-Sep-08 16:44:13

Mmm yes Babington house looks great. Just too expensive though. I think up to £200 a night would be reasonable (including dinner), but nearly twice that just isn't!
I am feeling more optimistic though - just need to trawl through and maybe e-mail some places.

WideWebWitch Wed 10-Sep-08 16:47:08

I just looked at Ickworth out of interest and 2 interconnecting rooms are £540 a night, which is OUTRAGEOUS imo. Actually that might even just be for one room.
And I am somneone who likes 5 star hotels and doesn't mind paying normally.

elliott Wed 10-Sep-08 16:55:42

Found this http://www.applebymanor.co.uk/index.htm
looks promising, but will have to find out about the interconnecting room option.
It does depress me when hotels/guest houses market themselves on being 'family friendly' and think it means providing a couple of extra beds in the room...Are there really people who think that is a holiday??

I think prices have gone up a lot. Plus the kids are older now so have to pay more.

WideWebWitch Wed 10-Sep-08 17:09:53

Well exactly, I don't want to share a room with my children, that is NOT a break, being at home is better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now