Talk

Advanced search

Passport for a baby

(7 Posts)
eilidhfi Wed 10-Sep-08 11:36:13

What are the rules about photos of babies for passports? DD is 4mo and we've just found out that we might be moving to Amsterdam for 6 months with DP's work. Have been looking on the home office website and it didn't say anything about photos... HELP!

squeaver Wed 10-Sep-08 11:38:58

Go to a Snappy Snaps or some such place and they'll do them or you for about a fiver for four and they'll make sure they're the right size etc. Don't try to do it yourself or in a photo booth.

My dd is now 3.9 and the photo in her passport is of her at 6 weeks. She won't get another one until she's 5. It is ridiculous.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 10-Sep-08 11:41:07

Agree with Squeaver, go to someone who will do it they know what is needed, DD and DS both had theirs done at 7 weeks, and like squeaver can't believe they don't need a new one until they are 5

eilidhfi Wed 10-Sep-08 11:51:11

Ooh didn't know you could do that, thanks!

I very much agree that it is ridiculous but I won't mind so long as I get to go to Amsterdam :D

LolaLadybird Wed 10-Sep-08 22:02:16

You could also try passpics.com. I have a couple of friends who have successfully done their babies' passport photos that way. All the rules regarding the photos are on their website, you take the photo (generally lying on floor on white sheet at that age), e-mail it to them and they will check it meets the HO requirements before sending you the printed photos.

I didn't use them as we have somewhere near us that took the photos but it is an alternative if you don't have somewhere nearby/convenient. Enjoy Amsterdam!

SoupDragon Wed 10-Sep-08 22:06:10

Photographs of children five years and under must show a clear image that is a true likeness of the child. As young children can be difficult to photograph, children aged five and under do not need to have a neutral expression or to look directly at the camera, but they must face forward.

In addition to the exceptions above, babies under one year old do not need to have their eyes open (however it is preferable for eyes to remain open). All other standards must be met. If the baby’s head needs to be supported, it is important that your supporting hand cannot be seen.
If you have real difficulty in meeting these conditions, you should visit a photographic studio rather than a photo booth.

From the Passport website.

I took BabyDragon's myself and used Passpix. I also did DS2's one when that was renewed when he was 5.

SoupDragon Wed 10-Sep-08 22:07:13

Taking it yourself is far easier because you can do it whenever your baby is happy and have as many goes as you like.

In the case of DS2 I also photoshopped the new scar on his forehead so it was less prominent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now