Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you travelled to London all the way from Australia, what would you do there for your DD's 6th birthday?

(23 Posts)
arfishy Tue 09-Sep-08 21:52:43

That's it really. DD will turn 6 while we're in the UK and I want to do something special with her that we can't do in Australia (like freeze to death in December grin).

I was going to do Hamleys and the Rainforest Cafe but my friend told me that it's rubbish and Hamleys doesn't do anything small enough for just me and DD apart from a 'tour' for GBP175.

Any suggestions? Christmas and birthday in the cold and dark will also be a real novelty for her (birthday 16th Dec). We'll also be doing a day trip to Paris on the Eurostar as well as spending time in Lincoln and Dorset.

<googles wildly>

snice Tue 09-Sep-08 21:54:44

Check if they're having a temporary ice rink at Somerset House again this Christmas-its a lovely setting

fourlittlefeet Tue 09-Sep-08 21:55:02

canal trip to london zoo
aquarium
Museum of childhood
london eye

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Tue 09-Sep-08 21:55:50

Go to the toy dept in Harrods.

snice Tue 09-Sep-08 21:55:53

yes they are!

greenandpleasant Tue 09-Sep-08 21:57:20

For an activity I would suggest ice skating at Somerset House or (I think) Natural History Museum - outdoor rinks I think will be going by mid December

For sight seeing how about seeing whatever Christmas lights are up - Oxford St, Regent St, Marylebone High St, and big Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square.

run out of inspiration but will post again if think of more.

BEAUTlFUL Tue 09-Sep-08 21:57:35

You need to find a lovely Santa's Grotto somewhere. Does Hamley's do one? That'd be lovely.

I think Hamley's is great! What does your friend mean, that it doesn't "do" anything? The fun bit is going there and roaming round its five floors. Then lunch in the cafe... What about if you btook her there on her birthday and let her choose her own present to buy with her birthday money?

greenandpleasant Tue 09-Sep-08 21:57:39

x posts sorry!

MingMingtheWonderPet Tue 09-Sep-08 21:58:20

Science Museum is great (the bit downstairs with all the stuff that you can try out)
London Eye is also good (as long as you are not scared of heights!)
Ice rik at Greenwich also good, could get there from central london on boat.

BEAUTlFUL Tue 09-Sep-08 21:59:11

Can you take her to see a show? Or a pantomime?

Blu Tue 09-Sep-08 21:59:13

If they have an ice rink outside the Natural History Museum again you could combine that with Dinosaurs.
I wonder what shows might be on - panto or lovely christmas spectaculars?

MatNanPlus Tue 09-Sep-08 22:01:58

London Eye with a Duck Tour and Yo Sushi for lunch all by the Thames/Waterloo

Monkey World in Dorset

greenandpleasant Tue 09-Sep-08 22:02:14

or how about going to a pantomime or a Christmas show of some sort, there's usually something like the Nutcracker or the Snowman on.

and the old routemaster buses still run what they call "heritage" tours on some routes which might be good.

greenandpleasant Tue 09-Sep-08 22:02:50

x posts again ... must learn to type faster

MinkyBorage Tue 09-Sep-08 22:03:17

I second Somerset HOuse ice rink, it's magical, maybe you could take her to a city farm too, to see some freezing animals. I reckon Hamleys is naff, but kids seem to love it. Natural History Museum great, but make sure it's a week day pref before schools break up. You've got some good ideas here abyway, have fun

Yurtgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 22:05:49

Last year there was an ice skating rink outside the national history/science museum - I think it was about £7.50 for half an hour

I took my ds who was then 6 and 3 months he loved it - If your dd is into dinosaurs, natural history, space etc. He loved it

Afterwards we went to leicester square because it has the longest escalator on the underground!!!!

His first ever visit to London, he loved it (he is a knowledge nerd) This year we are going again - he wants to go to the National Gallery and Kew Gardens - Not obvious choices for kids but he is begging to go

I cant deny him now can I

snice Tue 09-Sep-08 22:06:13

The Snowman at The Peacock Theatre

arfishy Tue 09-Sep-08 22:08:58

Thanks, great ideas already.

Funnily enough my friend suggested the ice rink at the history museum too.

I agree about Hamleys, although it's hard to let DD shop for toys as we will be very restricted for size. Friend didn't say Hamleys rubbish, only the Rainforest Cafe. There's not much for a solo birthday girl though.

We will be doing panto too, although I haven't found any that aren't full of reality tv stars that mean nothing to an Australian hmm.

I managed to get tickets to Harrods' Santas grotto courtesy of a mumsnet thread last month. Just got in before they all went!

We see quite a lot at the Opera House, so probably won't do ballet etc.

What about places to eat? Sushi is very common here, so not too special and also we will be COLD grin.

Duck tour looks fantastic!!! Thank you.

robinpud Tue 09-Sep-08 22:14:05

The Christmas party will be on in Lincoln won't it, with the little funfair. Ice skating would be brilliant; I think a show would be great.

Not to sure where you are near Lincoln, but for little things, White Post farm ( about an hour from Lincoln, ie short hop by Oz standards!) does a nativity play each day at the wekeends and you can join in if ou are visiting- animals and all! That's a bit different from Christmas at Tamarama. sundown at Retford is also supposed to be great at Christmas, as is carol singing at Sherwood Forest.

robinpud Tue 09-Sep-08 22:14:54

If you wt a funny panto with NO reality stars, then nottingham playhouse is the best.

robinpud Tue 09-Sep-08 22:15:26

god, meant winter market in Lincoln. Am too tired tonight.

arfishy Tue 09-Sep-08 23:57:57

Hey robinp, how are you smile.

I have the Lincoln Christmas Fair pencilled in for the day after we arrive!

Thanks for the tip about Nottingham. I think dad is pushing for Windsor which has been our family panto location plus could combine with a trip to the castle. I have a horrible feeling it has Leslie Grantham in, which I would have to boycott because I can't get the image of him sucking his finger on a webcam out of my head <shudder>

I quite fancy the west end as I have memories of seeing shows there as a very small child and it was very exciting with all the bright lights etc.

Good idea about the Christmas lights too. I have forgotten so much.

Any restaurant ideas? I did wonder about the Hard Rock Cafe, but wonder if she's too young and she's also not too keen on burgers unlike mummy.

arfishy Sat 13-Sep-08 10:53:17

Thanks all! Great ideas.

I've decided that in our 4 days in London we're going to do the Snowman (thanks Snice!), the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland (which has a massive ice rink (thanks blu for the icerink idea) and mulled wine), Hamleys, Santa at Harrods and the Eurostar to Paris. It's quite crammed but we'll be doing a 30 hour flight back to Australia afterwards, with stopovers in Finland and Tokyo (10 hours) so plenty of time to "relax". Then DD will have another 5 weeks off.

I love the Duck tours but I can't find available dates for them in December, so they may not run then. Have substituted panto for the Snowman because they all seem to be full of reality tv idiots. I'm not flying halfway round the world to watch a load of people with no talent who I've never heard of <sniff>.

I still have no idea where we'll have a birthday lunch.

[googles some more]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now