Talk

Advanced search

Travel away from baby - any advice?!

(6 Posts)
Xmasmum Tue 09-Sep-08 11:48:05

My husband is taking me away to New York for a weekend grin later this year, which we're really excited about. We've decided that the time difference/long flights etc will be too much for our baby daughter so we're leaving her with my mother for the weekend. It'll be really nice to have some time together alone but it's the first time I've been away from her for more than one night and the first time we'll both have been away from her together (I haven't started back at work yet) and i'm worried the big break might be really traumatic for her. She'll be nine and a half months old. Does anyone else have any experience of this? Any tips on how to make it easier for baby? Any feedback on baby's coping ok with separation of this sort? All thoughts/feedback gratefully received.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 09-Sep-08 13:51:00

I went away for the weekend when my LO was 8 months and again for a week when he was a year. He was absolutely fine both times (first time with aunt, second time with DH). I left a pashmina which I had worn (so had my scent/perfume etc on it) for my sis/DH to use to snuggle up against LO as an added comfort. You are bound to be worried but try and enjoy your time away . Is she close to your mum? Perhaps you should consider allowing your DD to spend longer periods of time with your mum between now and when you go so that she gets more used to being with her. Biggest concern is always "will she be comforted by carer if she gets upset?". Well, you can ensure she will by nurturing the time and bond they share, if time/distance allows.

HTH!

midnightexpress Tue 09-Sep-08 13:54:43

I had to go away for about 3 days when ds1 was about 3 months old (my dad got v ill sad), and it was fine, though I swear DS1 did give me A Look in the car on the way home from the airport. As long as your dd is comfortable being around your mum (what mrs JS said) I wouldn't worry.

midnightexpress Tue 09-Sep-08 13:55:15

Though you will spend the entire w/e talking about her grin

Xmasmum Tue 09-Sep-08 17:01:37

Thanks v much both - that's really helpful. And yes Mrs JS, she's got a pretty good bond with my mother. And I'll make sure they spend plenty more time together before then so that they can really get to know each other.

M Express - sure you're right, I fully expect to be boring passers-by with pictures of her by the time we leave. BTW hope your Dad is fully recovered now.

OneLieIn Tue 09-Sep-08 17:03:14

Bring a present. She might be a bit off with you immediately when you return, but she'll soon forget it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now