Talk

Advanced search

Do you carry large amounts of cash on you when travelling?

(12 Posts)
KerryMum Tue 09-Sep-08 10:52:13

And does that worry you?

Whatever happened to traveler's cheques?

Am unsure about whether atm card will work where I'm going though bank tells me it will. Need cash to pay for something on arrival.

Have travel insurance but does that cover cash?

ninedragons Tue 09-Sep-08 11:00:27

If your ATM card has a Cirrus or Maestro logo on it, you will definitely be able to find a cashpoint that takes it. Burma is the only place I have ever been in many years of travelling that doesn't have cashpoints.

Don't think most travel insurance covers cash, sorry.

KerryMum Tue 09-Sep-08 11:02:54

I'm just nervous because if I go over and can't find a cash point I will be in deep trouble.

Do most people carry cash on them when travelling? How much is too much?

ninedragons Tue 09-Sep-08 11:32:02

Where are you going?

If you were in the deepest of shit, you could always get a cash advance on your credit card over the counter at any bank.

Depends where you're going, really. In Shanghai you could walk around with a diamond tiara and US$100 notes stuffed in your pockets and nobody would bother you, but somewhere like Phnom Penh is a completely different kettle of fish.

KerryMum Tue 09-Sep-08 11:34:13

I'll be in Montenegro. Will be getting rid of cash as soon as I arrive (it is fees for a tournament ds1 is in)

ninedragons Tue 09-Sep-08 11:35:08

If you do have to carry the cash, buy one of those belts that goes under your clothes and practise wearing it so you don't touch it all the time to check it's still there.

The impulse to keep putting your hand on it is almost irresistible, but that's how ill-intentioned people realise you're worth mugging.

ninedragons Tue 09-Sep-08 11:37:44

Ah, sorry, cross-posted. What time do you arrive? I've never been to Montenegro but would probably do a counter withdrawal rather than carry the cash in transit.

Seems primitive that the tournament organisers can't take wire transfers or Visa.

KerryMum Tue 09-Sep-08 12:03:57

they can do wire transfers but I am late. Might not get there in time

ninedragons Tue 09-Sep-08 15:21:27

Ah, bugger. Bank draft?

Remember to carry a decoy wallet with a feasible amount of cash and some expired credit cards, just so you have something to hand over if the worst does happen.

I'm sure you'll be fine, though. Good luck to your DS, too!

beansmum Tue 09-Sep-08 15:25:47

If you are going to use your card, tell your bank before you go. My sister was on holiday this summer and tried to use her card, the bank stopped it because of unusual activity i.e she usually only uses it in the UK. It took a day to get it sorted out.

hifi Tue 09-Sep-08 15:28:25

nationwide dont charge for overseas transactions.

KerryMum Tue 09-Sep-08 16:03:16

okay so...

mad dash to the bank to meet 2 p.m. deadline but got bumped out of queue to complete form and then had to dash to collect ds2 so said I would return. decided to pay for urgent payment while collecting ds2 (that's same day but more expensive) but returned to bank to find she already sent it normal (3-5 days). So may not make it there in time sad I'm so stressed out. And then the info tournament sent me does not jive with their forms so they put a "note" on it. I'm so freakin nervous now.

Should have just chanced it with the cash. Problem is it's sponsor money, not my own so even more nervous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now