Talk

Advanced search

Will my cunning plan be foiled...?!

(9 Posts)
SweetApril Tue 09-Sep-08 10:29:14

Hi. Flying off to Greece soon and thought I might get around the stingy baggage allowance (and no allowance at all for 18-month-old) by packing extra stuff into my buggy travel bag which I will be taking to the gate. I want to pack something soft and padded around the buggy to try and protect it so I thought I could put the beach towels and nappies in the travel bag which would also free up loads of space in the suitcase. Then I remembered that last time we flew we had to be able to fit our hand luggage into those rectangular box things or they wouldn't let it through security. We will be taking our max 5kg each of hand luggage as well.

So, my question is, will airport security give me any grief with my buggy bag (it's a very, very large bag!) full of stuff even if I give them my "soft padding to protect buggy" story?! We won't actually be putting the buggy in it until we get to the gate. Anyone got any experience of this? Thanks

dilbertina Tue 09-Sep-08 10:37:05

Risky I would say, you do risk having stuff confiscated, they only actually are agreeing to take buggy - whilst they no doubt will let you put it in a buggy bag I think they may catch on to fact buggy bag is being used as surrogate suitcase! If you are that worried can you purchase additional baggage allowance or just travel very light and wash clothes out when you're there.

...they do sell nappies in greece as well so you don't need to take too many!...or buy in airport Boots and take on as hand luggage no problem...

hanaflower Tue 09-Sep-08 10:40:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamadiva Tue 09-Sep-08 10:47:58

Just pack what you need and buy some thing over there toiletries, nappies etc.

SweetApril Tue 09-Sep-08 11:31:19

Ooh, I was expecting people to say it would be fine! I need the buggy bag as the buggy comes in two parts and I need to keep it together. Generally I'm really bad at packing light and always went up to my allowance even before the arrival of DC. I shall just have to be very strict! We already paid a bit extra baggage allowance as we need to take a car seat and travel cot too. Lordy, this is turning into a big event!!

hanaflower Tue 09-Sep-08 12:51:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Teuch Tue 09-Sep-08 12:55:50

The staff looked like this > hmm when we put our buggy into a bag (empty!), and rolled their eyes.

The problem would most likely be at security, when they have to put everything through the scanner (including buggy, so don't let LO fall asleep in it!) and they might question then why you have it stuffed with stuff.

Don't carry millions of nappies - you can get nappies in greece grin. And why on earth do you have to carry a travel cot with you?

SweetApril Tue 09-Sep-08 13:22:23

See, now my terrible holiday planning is being shown up - blush! LO hates umbrella buggy and won't sleep in it so we thought big buggy, while a pain in the bum at the airport, would keep us all sane once we get there. Travel cot is to save money as it's going to cost about 45 quid to hire one locally. Not so bothered about the nappies really, I was just trying to sneak them in the hand luggage to save buying them there! We're only going for two weeks, btw, even if it sounds like planning for a year. Thanks, everyone, for not laughing too hard at me!

Rosa Tue 09-Sep-08 13:29:00

MY buggy bag is a big one and I rolled it up and put through security apart from the buggy itself ( as I needed it after security. In the 'string bag' on the handle I put the rain cover and the sun umbrella.
Then at the gate I put the whole lot in the bag. Then left the bag at the plane door. I wouldn't put lots of extras in it even though it would fit as it is carried for free and so far nobody has blinked an eye. Rather my buggy clean on arrival than stained, marked, battered as it gets thrown in the plane!
So far I think counting have done the same thing about 10 times !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now