Talk

Advanced search

Which snacks to take on long haul flight for 3 year old?

(17 Posts)
Callisto Mon 08-Sep-08 09:09:51

Hi all, what sort of foody snacky things do you take with you to keep your DC's quiet on long journeys? I'm hopeless at this sort of thing as normally I would take lots of fruit but I don't think fruit is allowed on international flights?

mamadiva Mon 08-Sep-08 09:15:22

Why aren't you allowed fruit I didn't know that?!

I often travel a 5 hour journey on the train and I normally take things like:

Dairylea Dunkers
Organix rice cakes
Bread and jar of jam
Some organix biscuits

Although DS is very fussy so we are limited.

mckenzie Mon 08-Sep-08 09:19:36

you can take fruit with you but for example, when we landed in Australia, we weren't allowed to take it off the plane with us and into their country. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

I took raisins, crackers, apples, bananas, cereal bars I think. But the airline staff often came and offered crisps and packets of snacks.

GordonTheGopher Mon 08-Sep-08 09:23:50

The entire Organix range. grin

SoupDragon Mon 08-Sep-08 09:26:24

As McKenzie says, you can take fruit, you just can't take it off the plane at the other end.

cmotdibbler Mon 08-Sep-08 09:28:18

Stuff where they can fish about and find different things is good. So a bag with a mixture of different cereals (shreddies, cheerios, mini shredded wheat), dried fruit (raisins, apricots, chopped dates, dried fruit, mango etc), mini bread sticks, mini rice cakes etc works well as its a bit like a lucky dip. It keeps me amused on really long journeys anyway ! Some cereal bars and mini packets of biscuits are a good idea too.

You can't take fruit off the flight, also dairy and meat products, into most countries.

Remember that things like jam, peanut butter, dairylea come into the category of liquids and pastes and are restricted in hand luggage

Callisto Mon 08-Sep-08 09:32:33

Thanks for clearing up the fruit thing, and thanks for the excellent suggestions. Sadly DD went off organix crisps and fruit bars when she discovered chocolate and 'real' crisps.

Good point about liquids Dibbler.

suzywong Mon 08-Sep-08 09:46:53

give them ANYTHING they want
any-thing
at all
there's a reason they call it LONG haul

end of story

trust me on this one

SoupDragon Mon 08-Sep-08 10:07:18

Water is good although a walk to get a drink whilst on the flight is a good timewaster

If you're taking chocolate, take wipes too!

cmotdibbler Mon 08-Sep-08 10:26:52

Our latest discovery is 'salt your own' crisps. If you fish the blue packet out before they find it, then there's no salt, and much less guilt.

Chocolate best in the form of Minstrels, M&Ms or the tiny boxes of Smarties as they don't end up all over the seat/your clothes/other passengers.

My ultimate source of interest foodwise (and this is as an adult who has spent Too Much Time sitting on planes on her own) is to do the ultimate pick and mix bag with lots of different types. Somehow it makes the time pass much faster between the airline meals if you can't sleep all the time

Lazycow Mon 08-Sep-08 10:30:41

Agree with Suzy Wong, Sweets and crisps and anything they want is allowed on long flights. The fact that he doesn't often get unlimited access to this sort of stuff means that he can be entertained for ages with packets of sweets etc.

Callisto Mon 08-Sep-08 10:46:18

DD doesn't react well to sweets at the best of times so definitely won't be getting any on the flight. Pick'n'mix type bag of goodies sounds like a great idea. Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions.

SoupDragon Mon 08-Sep-08 10:48:31

Never underestimate the value of the seat back TV if there is one.

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 10:55:08

mini packets of raisins or other dried fruit apricots/dates/figs/cherries
tuc biscuits/crackers and primula to squeeze on or other cheese / stuff to make mini sandwiches - keeps them enteretained making them
apples
breadsticks/cheese straws
gingerbread men
flapjacks

mckenzie Mon 08-Sep-08 14:25:38

also agree with Suzywong.
As someone who is still recovering from the Singapore to Melbourne leg of our journey back in April (DD, DS and me - see other thread if you dare), even if you have very strict rules usually about chocolate and crisps, be prepared to break them on a long haul flight grin

Callisto Tue 09-Sep-08 09:05:21

Not strict at all but sweets (not including chocolate) turn my normally placid DD into a raving loon. There is no way sweets on a long haul flight are a good idea for her.

twentypence Tue 09-Sep-08 09:08:45

Little boxes of raisins can be taken into countries as long as they are declared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now