Talk

Advanced search

Possibly a long shot - We are travelling from Yorkshire to Cornwall and want a nice pub to stop at for lunch.

(13 Posts)
Phoenix Sun 07-Sep-08 17:42:52

Not too far off the motorway and somewhere nicer/cheaper than the motorway services.

We have Sat Nav so would need an address or postcode or very good directions to find it

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 17:48:05

oo, mn is wonderful for this sort of thing. we have visited some truly wonderful places with mnnetters help.l
there is always the website, offmotorway.com. but for the best places that only locals know, tell us what roads youwill be going along. i dont know the route, as i have never traveleld to cornwall by car, or yorkshire as an adult. blush

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 17:50:58

Oh God there is a place we stopped at, we did this journey a few times, from Plymouth - Durham and vice versa. One time we stopped at a place away from motorway and I can't for the life of me remember where it was...I shall give DH a call and ask him.

Phoenix Sun 07-Sep-08 17:51:14

Dh says M1, M42 and M5.

He's looking at that website now, thanks for that Stitch

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 17:53:24

M5 you can stop off in Bristol, there are some really nice villages just off the motorway (M5), easy to get off and on again.

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 18:01:55

start a thread with the title of a town or junction number on the M5 in the title asking local mumsnetters for advice. it will come pouring in. smile
my only personal experience, as an adult doing the navigating that is, grin is with the brimingham stretch, blush so no advice there really. unless you fancy stopping off in solihull, there is a really nice mcD near the juntion five of the m42. or you could go into birmigham for a nice curry. i could ask dsis for the names of some good places .

or, youcould take along a picnic. warwick castle, junction 15, so slightly off route, is fab. and their is a fab link to free entry on one of htese threads. i'll search for it if you wnat me to.

Phoenix Sun 07-Sep-08 18:08:55

I don't think we'll be stopping off at Warwick Castle but thanks anyway

Dh reckons we'll be somewhere on the M5 around lunch time because we're hoping to set off around 5am.

Phoenix Sun 07-Sep-08 18:10:10

Dh says that website is great, thanks stitch

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 18:46:01

smile your welcome.
but do start the other thread i suggested. you will get more local ideas. we now regularly visit moffat water park on junction15 of the a74(M) in scotland. reccomended by a lovely mumsnetter.

Phoenix Sun 07-Sep-08 18:48:38

I've started another in this topic but I never know what to put in titles so it maybe wrong hmm but thanks for your help

DrGeorge Sat 20-Sep-08 18:25:40

We always try to find a National Trust property to go to - we're members so it doesn't cost anything, we usually just have lunch in the restaurant a 30 minute walk and off we go - have a look on their website.

Anna8888 Sun 21-Sep-08 08:01:18

You can stop off in Bath for lunch and shopping grin

Slouchy Sun 21-Sep-08 08:18:44

The Swan at Whittington, literally just off the M5 at J7 (Worcester South).

Good food, play area if you have kids that need a run after being cooped up. Worcester Mnetters always have our meetups there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now