Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyone else planning on NOT having a hoiliday next summer because of the economic downturn?

(16 Posts)
brimfull Sat 06-Sep-08 07:55:08

was reading the doom and gloom in the papers yesterday

as we are in the retail trade I think we may have to give up on the holiday next yr.

not a hardship I know ,never had regular yrly holidays as a child

praying for a nice summer in 2009!

Bumperlicious Sat 06-Sep-08 08:10:16

If you mean because you are skint then yes, I don't expect we will have a holiday next year either, pretty much like this year, oh and last year too!

MarkStretch Sat 06-Sep-08 08:13:39

We're not either, think we'll attempt a festival instead but not abroad.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 06-Sep-08 08:21:37

We are going to Ireland to stay with friends but have rented our house out at the same timewhich will pay for the flights and car hire

AbbaFan Sat 06-Sep-08 08:23:26

Well, we are but a cheap one.

For the past 2 years thats all we've been able to afford, and it's not going to change next year.

We are planning and saving for a trip to Florida in 2010, so won't be going anyway hot until then!

ChopsTheDuck Sat 06-Sep-08 08:33:48

We've been to spain in the summer for the past 4/5 years but won't be going next year. Also have been to Florida, Belgium and south of france. Won't be able to afford it next year though.
We're very tempted to take up camping, and drive to France instead of flying anywhere. It was on the news that more and more people are taking up camping because of economical and environmental reasons.

AbbaFan Sat 06-Sep-08 08:37:26

Chops - camping it what we have been doing for the last 3 years. It's fun and my DS's love it.

We will have a cheap week in the Isle of Wight next year and a week in May with Eurocamp (only £400 all in), which is what I call 'posh' camping, as you don't need you own tent!

Chocolateteapot Sat 06-Sep-08 09:20:03

Eurocamp is well worth a look at. I have booked 6 nights in a static at Easter which including my cash back through Quidco comes to £172 pounds. Will book Eurotunnel through clubcard so just then need petrol etc.

We didn't have a holiday for a few years until this year, which bought home to me how lovely they are so they have actually gone higher up my priority list, but at a fairly low budget. If we get completely skint we will houseswap with a friend in a similar position. But for now I have paid for my Eurocamp holiday and have a farm booked in Germany for the summer, which the two months where we don't pay council tax will cover accomodation. Hopefully I can just squeeze enough clubcard vouchers to cover both Eurotunnel crossings.

TrinityRhino Sat 06-Sep-08 09:25:18

we've never had a holiday lol

AbbeyA Sat 06-Sep-08 09:38:07

I never even think about next years holiday until about April!

Chocolateteapot Sat 06-Sep-08 09:38:19

Trinity do you have friends in another part of the country you could swap with or hose sit if they go away ? Friends came here for a week whilst we were away this year. They spent £100 on top of food but it would have been less if they hadn't spent £35 on guitar hero and a few other bits as they hadn't prepared for wet weather.

We've had lots of years where we haven't gone away but going away this summer after a difficult year with my MIL in Spain dying, amongst other things, made me realise how theraputic getting away can be if you can find a way of doing it.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 06-Sep-08 09:50:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

morningpaper Sat 06-Sep-08 09:54:57

we are thinking of a holiday in the May bank holiday instead of the summer for next year

morningpaper Sat 06-Sep-08 09:55:11

May HALF TERM I mean

OneBoyOneGirl Sat 06-Sep-08 10:09:26

I am determined to get a holiday next year, we haven't had one since the honeymoon and never been with the kids, every year i say we will next year!

ChopsTheDuck Sun 07-Sep-08 08:19:58

Have looked at eurocamp and it is very cheap outside of august. Might well be worth considering having holiday in half term instead. Thanks for the idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now