Talk

Advanced search

Butlins Minehead - I'm sooo on the wrong website for this right?

(24 Posts)
Tippychick Fri 05-Sep-08 21:19:02

Cos you're all posh an' stuff (joke, don't kill me!)

I've not had a holiday in ten looooong years and DD is 2 so she never has grin. We're off to Butlins next week for 4 nights as a cheap and cheerful adventure on our own (I'm a LP). She's been going through an unpredictable phobia stage involving beaches, baths, water, swings etc etc so we chose Butlins as being cheap, cheerful, localish and with loads of activities in case one becomes scary. I'll be in the apartment every evening so I'll be spared the entertainment wink

Anyone else been? Please tell me good things cos it's paid for now but also tips on what to avoid etc? And please all pray for a surprise Indian Summer hmm

sharonanne Fri 05-Sep-08 21:44:25

we went for a week in the summer with DD4 and DD14 it poured with rain all week and we had a great time!The beach is lovely!

We even enjoyed the evening entertainment especially billys birthday party show which had bob the builder pingu,angelina balerina in etc..

Drinks and food can be expensive but the town is nearby to stock up.

The swimming pool lets under fives in only between nine and ten on certain days which was appealing.

The queens hall pub on the seafront has a soft gym area in the basement if you fancy going ofsite.

LyraSilvertongue Fri 05-Sep-08 21:53:52

Last time I went was about 30 years ago but I had a great time. Not much help, I know. wink

pinkmagic1 Fri 05-Sep-08 21:56:52

Took my 2, who are 4 and nearly 2 to the skegness Butlins in May and I couldn't fault it. My eldest prefered it to our earlier holiday to Egypt!
They both loved the Bob the builder yard, which had lots of free kids rides in it and there was always shows going on with all the kids favourote characters like Fireman Sam, Angelina Ballerina, pingu etc. There was also a huge soft play area with a seperate bit for under 2's which was excellent if it was raining.
My 2 didn't like the pool. My eldest loves water but there was lots of wave machines and showers and waterfalls that kept spraying down which really frightened them. So best avoid if yours has a water phobia.
The evening entertainment has moved on since the Heidi hi days too. They had a mini disco every evening for the kids which they loved and some really good family shows, including an excellent magic show.

Lilyloo Fri 05-Sep-08 21:59:31

my dc's love Butlins we have done Skegness and had lovely time!
Hope the weather trund for the better for you!

Aarrgghh Fri 05-Sep-08 22:08:16

I went to Haven in July, I'm a lone parent and it was ds (2.8) and myself, we had a great time. Weather was rubbish but we found lots to do. Hope you have a great time x

Leslaki Sat 06-Sep-08 10:54:25

I took my 2 to Skeggy and Minehead and def preferred Minehead! The Bob's building yard is much better as is the indoor play area. As we were always up so early in the morning I used to take the kids down to the beach then the play area before Bob's yard opened. They still talk aout the puppet shows and discos. It was also their first intor to pantomimes which they loved. The evening entertainment was naff but we used to go for the disco then back to the apt for ebd. The food onsite was expensive and bot very good - Pizza Hut was the 'poshest' (ahem!) place but there is a Tesco literally across the road so I stocked up their and we ate in. Worst bit was the hideous plastic mattresses! Ugh!!! The apartment was a bit rough round the edges - hair in the shower and that kinds thing - this was in gold standard! I took cleaning wipes and wiped it all down though.
You and dd will have a ball - youll send your time hanging out with the Bob crowd - enjoy the Bob shows - we never missed one!

jvs Sat 06-Sep-08 11:01:04

We went last year with ds 21/2. Lovely in expensive holiday. The Steam train at Minehead is fabulous, there is lot to do in the area in general, the beach is great big and sandy! Loads to do for the kids (if you can keep them away from the slot machines) Accomadation clean and perfectly functional.
My only complaint was that concidering it was a childrens week the adults were allowed to smoke in the Dome (I am a smoker as well so not getting pompus.... just did feel a bit inappropriate) but because smoking now banned not a problem anymore.
You'll love it..... dont expect 5* luxury, take a waterproof and have a Great British Holiday!!!

milkybarsrus Sat 06-Sep-08 14:35:22

Have you all got promotional codes or something, just that i have been on butlins website and for me and my 3 kids it costs loooaads a money? hundreds in fact? any deals going for school holidays would be gratefully received. TIA.grin

jvs Sat 06-Sep-08 15:16:09

Last minute bookings usually the best, we booked 4 weeks before (check online and call as they can be different) and it cost us £99.00 for 4 nights (2 adults and ds).
Better deals to be had during school term (obviously).

milkybarsrus Sat 06-Sep-08 16:22:45

thanks jvs, will keep checking nearer the time. I was just blown away by the £7-800 squid price tag. shock

cadelaide Sat 06-Sep-08 16:27:52

You must go on the West Somerset Railway......a ride on a steam train through beautiful countryside.

Tommy Sat 06-Sep-08 16:30:38

we went last year (not posh at all but I did buy my Guardian every day from the onsite shop which didn't have a problem with that at all grin)

Lovely beach, steam train to go on a ride on if you like tha sort of thing - we went on that on the wettest day imaginable (think these last few days)on site entertainment wasn't too bad - bearing in mind we were at Haven last week and didn't go in the entertainment zone once after the first time, Bob's yard was very popular with the DSs, the fair was great fun

It was better than Haven if that's any help - have fun! smile

anorak Sat 06-Sep-08 16:36:51

I went to Minehead Butlins in 1996. I had a whole list of complaints chiefly about the accommodation and ended up getting a huge amount refunded afterwards - but I think they have done the place up since then and it sounds much better now. 1996 is a long time ago really, isn't it? Babysitters were available when I went and they were very cheap too. Have fun.

Sawyer64 Sat 06-Sep-08 16:42:27

Butlins are selling off holidays at the moment,huge reductions. We went at half term in May to Bognor Regis,theres 5 of us,and it was 50% off,so we paid less than £450 for a week!

Excellent place for young children IMO. There was even a Playgroup/Creché where your first session is free,so if you wanted to do something on your own you can without feeling guilty as they have a great time doing crafts etc.

Only downside for us was we were in Silver accomadation,which was fine but we were up 2 flights of metal stairs,not easy with a buggy,on your own,or like I was sometimes with my 3 yr old as well!

Definitely would request Ground floor next time!

Have a great time,and if you can afford it and your little one would enjoy it,my DD1 (3yr old) went to the Angelina ballerina party,where you stay with them,but they dance,have games and party tea,with a photo too! She adored it,and the free gifts too.

FluffyMummy123 Sat 06-Sep-08 16:43:29

Message withdrawn

Leslaki Sat 06-Sep-08 16:46:00

milkybarsrus - if you don't mind the drive to Holland - 3 hours from calais - you can get a 4 night break here with Keycamp staying ina mobile home with ferry included for £149.50 in Oct half term. It's a bit like centre parks meets a smaller version of Alton Towers and is FAB!!!! We went last Oct half term and it is miles better than Butlins. Would go again in a minute!

Leslaki Sat 06-Sep-08 16:46:02

milkybarsrus - if you don't mind the drive to Holland - 3 hours from calais - you can get a 4 night break here with Keycamp staying ina mobile home with ferry included for £149.50 in Oct half term. It's a bit like centre parks meets a smaller version of Alton Towers and is FAB!!!! We went last Oct half term and it is miles better than Butlins. Would go again in a minute!

littlerach Sat 06-Sep-08 16:53:30

My frind is at Minehaed this weekend.
She's been before and says it's fine.
her girls like it.

Sawyer64 Sat 06-Sep-08 16:59:42

Didn't notice any problem with the Clientele in Bognor......hmm

anorak Sat 06-Sep-08 17:28:47

Bognor is actually a very nice town. Just has a funny name, that's all.

RubyRioja Sat 06-Sep-08 17:33:08

We stayed in the ship-shape hotel there a few years ago (opening deal) and the suite was really super, one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in.

TBH not my cup of tea, but the dcs loved it. I did witness a parental punch up at Bob the Builder Show.

Facilities fab and I would imagine much nicer now smoke free.

Tippychick Sat 06-Sep-08 22:34:38

Thanks all, I'm v excited. DD has new Bob wellies in anticipation of meeting the great man.
Fingers crossed for the weather!

Sawyer64 Sun 07-Sep-08 09:52:37

Ooh yes,if she prefers Bob to Angelina,they do that party as well,not to mention the shows,and pictures with him,she'll love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now