Talk

Advanced search

Which coastal area of France?

(17 Posts)
pleasechange Fri 05-Sep-08 14:18:20

I'm thinking of going to the south of France next year with a 1 year old. I'd like somewhere with nice sandy beaches - other than that don't have any particular requirements so am open-minded. Any particular comments or advice on where to go?

aznerak Fri 05-Sep-08 14:47:22

Our favourite area of France is the Languedoc as it has fantastic sandy beaches with lovely clean, warm water and safe, non-shelving shores but also has lots more to offer than its beautiful beaches, as there is tons of things to see and do in the area.

My parents rent out their villa down there and if you want to learn more about the area, please do look at their website as there is loads of info about things to see and do, plus details of beaches etc. They have a small ad here on mumsnet and that gives the link to the website, then click on Region and then Beaches.

Do ask if you want to know anything specific about the area

pleasechange Fri 05-Sep-08 14:54:44

Thanks aznerak - the villa looks lovely but is probably a bit big as there are only 3 of us. Can you recommend particular areas in Languedoc? We'd probably fly into Perpignan I think

aznerak Fri 05-Sep-08 15:01:56

It depends what you want. If you intend to spend most of the time on the beach then I will suggest coastal towns, but if you want lots to do and be in the wine villages, i will recommend places near the coast but inland slightly

MadameCastafiore Fri 05-Sep-08 15:07:48

The Somme Valley is beautiful and there is a great train which runs up and down to it that the kids really enjoyed - beach is sandy and water is clean!

pleasechange Fri 05-Sep-08 16:03:09

Thanks MadameCastafiore I'll look that up

aznrak I think near the coast but inland slightly would be ideal

Milliways Fri 05-Sep-08 16:14:08

Another vote for the languedoc here. If you don't mind Mobile Home holidays, the Siblu site La Carabasse is fine, walkable to beach and to local restaurants. They do "luxury" vans as well and are open from Easter to October. We have been twice and I would go again.

Milliways Fri 05-Sep-08 16:14:54

There kids "Bubble" club also takes from age 1 to 4

pleasechange Fri 05-Sep-08 19:51:46

Thanks Milliways - what sort of price are the mobile homes?

Milliways Fri 05-Sep-08 20:01:16

It varies tremendously from out of season to Mid School Holidays, and if you want the basic or top of the range van. We have stayed in both. The large vans are great but the basic vans are good enough, especially if you only have one small child (we have 2 teenagers).

Price & book here

I just put in for 2 weeks in June and got from £550 - £800 ish

Milliways Fri 05-Sep-08 20:04:46

There is another site in same village, run by the Yelloh chain and you can book direct (or go with Keycamp).

It looked a great site as well when we had a look, and may be cheaper?

The village is Vias Plage. direct site here

Anna8888 Fri 05-Sep-08 20:06:38

Greece is so much nicer than France for a baby beach holiday.

sunnytimer Fri 05-Sep-08 20:14:05

Message withdrawn

pleasechange Fri 05-Sep-08 21:16:21

Thanks Milliways and sunnytimer.

Anna which are your favourite Greek islands? I've only been to Athens and neighbouring islands - loved it and especially the food

Anna8888 Fri 05-Sep-08 21:18:54

Folégandros - LOVE it. Milos, Hydra, Lesbos...

Anotherbook Fri 05-Sep-08 22:06:25

How about Corsica?

Fly with Easyjet to Bastia.Calvi has a lovely beach with shallow water.

taipo Fri 05-Sep-08 22:26:27

We've just got back from the south of France. We booked a mobile home here. The campsite was a little too big and noisy for my liking and I don't think it would be all that suitable for a 1 yo, but it was near the beach which was very sandy and safe for children. We didn't have a car so didn't do any exploring but I think there is plenty to see in that area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now