Talk

Advanced search

Airports and formula/customs

(13 Posts)
jojoisamum Wed 03-Sep-08 20:16:02

We don't have a boots airside at Edinburgh Airport. Does anyone know what happens with formula in these cases?

I obviously can't take the 200 ml pre-packed stuff and can't take a flask of hot water so I am stuck with just the powder. Just not sure how to make his feed!

cmotdibbler Wed 03-Sep-08 20:18:45

They do sell formula at WHSmith at Edinburgh airport - I was there two weeks ago and they had all brands. If you ring them, they can put some aside for you if you're worried about getting enough.

2point4kids Wed 03-Sep-08 20:19:18

Can you take the powder in a seperate container and the hot water in the bottle ready to mix?

Thats what I do usually when out and about and what I am planning on doing when we go on holiday on Friday!

You could also take a bottle of Evian to mix with the powder (I believe its low enough in sodium to be ok to use un boiled) and ask air hostess for hot water to warm bottle if lo likes it warmer than room temp?

iwantasecondone Wed 03-Sep-08 20:25:05

I was just thinking the same thing, and HV told me that all the restaurants on "the other side" are fine with giving you boiled water to fill up bottles/flask as you can't take more than 100mls in any one container through security. It is a nightmare, isn't it? Have kept going with BF til today as I was so scared about it, but after being bitten 20 times am going to face the formula problem too!

jojoisamum Wed 03-Sep-08 21:14:46

Didn't realise about WH Smith. Good news. His feeds are more than 100 ml so can't take hot water with me (would be cold by the time I got to feed him too).

Will also just ask restaurants (forgot about them!)

nobodytoldme Wed 03-Sep-08 22:03:06

I just flew through Luton yesterday to France, and was able to take 3 formula cartons on board, I just had to taste the milk in his sippy cup. You should check ahead, but security told me they have relaxed the rules. But check your airport - not worth the risk!

hf128219 Wed 03-Sep-08 23:03:37

Nobody - so they didn't make you open any of the actual cartons then?

Flying through Luton next week!

Do they sell SMA gold ready to feed airside do you know?

TIA.

Ewe Wed 03-Sep-08 23:05:46

You can take the cartons but you may be required to taste one carton, so take a spare, you could also take boiled water and powder and you will just need to taste the boiled water.

nobodytoldme Wed 03-Sep-08 23:11:19

No they didn't, was no bother at all. I have no idea about what was airside as we were (as usual) in danger of missing the flight and ran through the shopping area!

nobodytoldme Wed 03-Sep-08 23:11:56

There is a boots though (a small one) if that helps...

hf128219 Wed 03-Sep-08 23:11:58

Thanks both!

canofworms Wed 03-Sep-08 23:16:05

btw - I've done loads of flights with my lo and formula (she's allergic to milk so at 19months still on prescription formula)

Although she's older and I can't advise on the water, I always take the powder in a separate container. Her bag is ALWAYS asked to be inpsected.

the last flight the security lady said even the powder in a container looks like liquid and so to take that out seperately at security as well.

HTH!

MommyHasaHeadache Wed 03-Sep-08 23:38:59

I've just checked the BAA website as I travel on Saturday. It says (for Stanstead: Exceptions to the 100ml rule can be made for baby food or milk. However, you should only carry what you need for the flight, and you may be asked to taste these items at security control. There is also a FAQ for travelling with babies but I can't get into that right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now