Talk

Advanced search

Greek weather advice for late Sept/Oct

(15 Posts)
callmeovercautious Tue 02-Sep-08 21:51:48

We are looking at booking a late Honeymoon with DD. We got married just over a month ago and I have found a resort that looks good. Great kids club etc so we can have alittle bit of us time grin grin. But I have seen the rainfall picks up alot in late Sept and October. Have you been to mainland Greece and how was the weather? It is my only concern. Surely Greece does not have a rainy season hmm

Corfu at that time was rainy at night - that is fine - we will be in bed grin but I am worried the holiday is so cheap because of the rain.

PollyLogos Wed 03-Sep-08 05:21:57

Whereabouts on mainland Greece?

shabster Wed 03-Sep-08 06:42:47

We go to Rhodes each year. September is usually lovely - with bearable temperatures! We went, last year, for the last week in October - the end of the season.

We had rain for an hour on the last day 31st of October.

Dont know about mainland Greece. Rhodes is very close to Turkey so maybe thats why we get plenty of sunshine.

I do know that in Rhodes they have plenty of rain from November to April - but the temperatures during the Summer more than make up for that.

herbietea Wed 03-Sep-08 07:15:53

Message withdrawn

shabster Wed 03-Sep-08 08:49:47

Think you are right about the luck of the draw. What about one of the Canary Islands? They have great facilities for children and are about the same flying time as Greece and the islands.

PollyLogos Wed 03-Sep-08 15:29:03

In northern and western Greece ie Halkidiki/Corfu I wouldn't risk a holiday after mid September. Not because rain is a certainty - it isn't at all but some rain is a possibility and presumably you are coming to Greece partly for some good weather?

The further south you go the longer the season is so Rhodes/Santorini/Crete are all good bets well into September. On the mainland I would imagine the southern peloponesse will be warm and sunny until late September/early October. Here in Athens the weather breaks the last week of October.

We do have wet winters here and about three times in the last 8 years we have had some massive snow falls! One year the schools in northern Athens were closed for a week! The kids thought that was great!!!

callmeovercautious Wed 03-Sep-08 21:32:14

Thanks so much for the replies - obviously all the holiday people are about in the day smile

I am looking at the Mark Warner resort in Kalamata - mainland Greece. It is a slightly delayed Honeymoon (we got Married last month) so want somewhere DD will have some fun in a todller group while we honeymoon wink The Mark Warner kids clubs look good and they have the flights and the room layout we are looking for as well (DD hates sleeping in with us as we both snore!).

I think the rainfall goes up from 1mm in August i.e nothing to 100,, which is 10cm and quite a bit if it lands on you in the day! I think it is still quite warm though - am I right? Pollylogos - sounds like you live in Athens envy any tips? We are not really into package Holidays, DH hates leaving home and loves nothing more than mooching about here on his time off so I am really keen to make sure I pick the right place!

PollyLogos Thu 04-Sep-08 06:38:50

Yes i am in Athens! I can find out more for you (weatherwise) as I have a friend who comes from Kalamata.

Mid-late September is a lovely time for holidays as the weather won't be too hot I imagine it will still be mid 20s though which is great. The evenings will be cooler though. The sea is at its warmest then because it has been heating up all summer! If it does rain it will almost definitely be a short sharp shower. We are not talking steady rainy drizzle all day long.grin

I would check the childcare facilities though. You are talking about coming right at the end of the season and I'm not sure they will have much on offer and whether there will be other children around. It may be better to look at a holiday yown where there is more chance of there being more touristy stuff on offer. Wherever you go it is the end of the season so things will be winding down. HTH Anything else just ask.

herbietea Thu 04-Sep-08 07:16:49

Message withdrawn

shabster Thu 04-Sep-08 07:57:21

We once spent Christmas in Tenerife and it was very warm....100% better than sunny Bolton grin

callmeovercautious Thu 04-Sep-08 09:58:17

Thanks Polyylogos - very helfpul info smile

herietea - we went to lanzarote the same time of year 3 years ago and the weather was great. A bit breezy so take some hair grips but otherwise really nice.

Leslaki Sat 06-Sep-08 11:09:34

I used to live in Crete and it wa still lovely in Sept/October - still plenty for the kids to do but obvioulsy a lot quieter than it is in August - therefore far nicer!

JustineMumsnot Sat 06-Sep-08 11:20:58

remember to check that childcare is available

callmeovercautious Sun 07-Sep-08 20:53:01

Thanks! Yes Childcare is available according to the advertised dates but I am going to call and ask a few questions as they are only on line and there is no travel agent locally that represents them. I will be asking for written confirmation regarding childcare.

KristinaM Fri 12-Sep-08 14:56:39

how did you get on? i see that XL airways have folded today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now