Talk

Advanced search

any tips for weekend in cairo during ramadan?

(2 Posts)
canofworms Mon 01-Sep-08 14:09:53

We're heading off to cairo for a long weekend on the 11th and didn't realise it was going to be ramadan (sp?)

I'm diabetic and worried about needing something to eat but offending locals by eating in public. Will there be cafes etc open during the day if i do need something to eat? Starting to get worried now

Also, how covered up do I need to be?

Hope someone can help me out

TIA

misi Mon 01-Sep-08 16:10:28

During the month of Ramadan, Muslims fast during the hours of daylight and eat in the evenings. After the sun sets the fast is broken with a meal known as iftar - a mini feast with plenty of sweets and dates.

Non-Muslims and guests visiting Islamic countries are not expected to observe the fast, but it's polite to respect local customs. Be discrete if consuming food or water during the day, and avoid smoking in public places.

In the more liberal of the Middle East countries such as Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco, Ramadan can pass almost unnoticed by most tourists, although observance effects tourists more in places like the Gulf states, Syria, and Libya. Shops might close earlier than normal, there could be extra restrictions on the sale of alcohol, and many restaurants will close during the day. Also, keep in mind that museums and sights will close early to allow people to return to their homes for iftar.

forum.kusadasi.biz/thread2936.html

touregypt.net/teblog/egyptologynews/?p=2861

hope this is of some help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now