Talk

Advanced search

ZOOM AIRLINES suspend all flights

(5 Posts)
leapinglizzards Fri 29-Aug-08 09:01:41

www.news.bbc.co.uk

Hundreds of travellers left stranded by the collapse of transatlantic budget airline Zoom are attempting to continue their journeys.

The company, which has flown since 2001, employs 450 staff in Canada and 260 staff in the UK.
It operated flights from London Gatwick, Glasgow, Manchester, Cardiff and Belfast, as well as Paris and Rome.

And it flew to eight destinations in Canada, as well as New York, San Diego, Fort Lauderdale and Bermuda.

What you should do

Any Zoom flight you have booked will not be departing. If you still wish to travel, Zoom recommends contacting other carriers and lists several on its website

If your flight is part of a package holiday originating from the UK, you may be able to make a claim under the CAA's Air Travel Organiser's Licence (Atol) scheme.

If you have paid for a Zoom flight, contact your credit card or debit card issuer to see if they can refund your money.

Sorry to bring bad news to any of you.

alibubbles Fri 29-Aug-08 09:49:18

DD's best friend phoned last night in tears as she is supposed to be going to Bermuda to stay with her boyfriend who works there. I don't think she'll get her money back as she used a debit card and they don't refund to my knowledge.

I had flights booked with Silverjet, but got a refund.

Bit of a bummer Zoom going, as I used to book one way flights for DS to Calgary at the beginning and end of the ski season, which I could do when the snow finished!

what a PITA.
i feel so bad for people who are stranded and have lost money.

it's one less option for travelling home now for me. shit.

leapinglizzards Fri 29-Aug-08 10:35:15

alibubbles, that's sad. She should still contact her debit card user and ask if they will refund, worth a try.

Here are some more details from the CAA
Failure of Scheduled Airline Zoom

Different rules if depending if you book direct or through and agent. Your are better booking with an ATOL ticket agent. Airlines are not included within the ATOL Scheme (loop hole and don't have to be), so if you booked direct with an airline that has ceased trading you will not be covered.

Flight bookings made direct with Zoom:
The CAA’s ATOL Scheme does not cover passengers who book flights directly with airlines such as Zoom.

UK customers who were due to fly back to the UK are advised to make alternative arrangements with other airlines.

Customers who booked using a credit card are advised to contact their credit card company about full or partial refunds.

Customers who paid by debit or charge card should contact their card company for advice about full or a partial refunds. Customers with travel insurance should check their policy to see whether any airline insolvency cover was provided.

leapinglizzards Fri 29-Aug-08 11:30:31

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now