Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Lanzarote

(8 Posts)
missblythe Fri 29-Aug-08 08:40:31

General consensus seems to be that Lanzarote is not as Lanzagrotty as it used to be, and it seems like a good place to go for sun in November.

Will be 2 toddlers/2 couples, looking for villa holiday near a beach, but not near an all-you-can-eat English Fry Up.

So, where to go/where to avoid?

I'm all ears.

bramblebooks Fri 29-Aug-08 08:44:41

We went to the first choice holiday village at playa blanca and had a lovely time.

SubRosa Fri 29-Aug-08 19:41:32

Costa Teguise is ok. There are a few English pubs, but also some decent restaurants. We often ate at Portofino, the food was good, as was the service.

Lanzarote seems quite laid back and I found the locals, and the visitors from mainland Spain to be friendly and polite, especially if you try a few words of Spanish.

Hablo un poco español, pero no hablo español con fluidez. I speak a bit of Spanish, albeit not fluently

missblythe Fri 29-Aug-08 20:29:00

Thanks, both of you.

Sadly I have not one word of Spanish, though could probably ram some into my head by Oct/Nov.

rookiemater Fri 29-Aug-08 20:34:08

We went in February and it was a nice temperature, but most of the pools aren't heated so can be a bit chilly.

We stayed at the Sands Beach villa resort at Costa Teguise. It was ok although the beds were a bit uncomfortable. The resort was nice and I didn't think it was too tacky at all, there were a few nice restaurants and a craft market one night.

Worth hiring a car, do it at the airport as much cheaper than booking in advance, and going to see some of the Cesar Manrique stuff.

Avoid the camel trip if you are of a nervous disposition like myself.

nowirehangers Fri 29-Aug-08 20:40:41

lanzarote is fine, even the so-called grotty bits like puerto del carmen are perfect for a family with young dcs big, clean sandy beach and safe sea (a bit chilly). The waves are very big on some parts of the island so be aware of that. There are some lovely restaurants and the weather when we went in feb was a bit iffy but mainly good. We stayed here but it might be booked up by now and if you are interested check the pool is heated now, it wasn't when we stayed which wasn't a huge deal but it would have been nice.
this might help you for properties inland away from the grotty bits, it's a small place so you'll never be much more than 20 mins drive from the beach, enjoy!

inzidoodle Fri 29-Aug-08 20:48:17

I am going to costa adeje in October but looks very quiet, although not far from playa des ;las americas etc I like to be out of the big areas for peace and quiet but close enough to visit for the day. We are staying all inclusive though so might be different for villa holiday

inzidoodle Wed 03-Sep-08 14:14:13

blush blush oops I am going to Tenerife not Lanzarote blush blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now