Talk

Advanced search

Looking for some advice to make sure we make the most of a short trip to Paris

(9 Posts)
PinkButterfly Thu 28-Aug-08 15:33:01

DH and I are getting a couple of days away child-free for an anniversary in November and have decided to go to Paris - we have never been before.

We arrive there early afternoon Wed and depart mid-afternoon Fri. We are staying in a studio apartment in Le Marais/Beaubourg. I am looking for some guidance about what visits to major attractions we can realistically manage within our short time there and any other tips/advice is most appreciated. We really want to make the most of this rare opportunity - it's likely to be some time before we get a chance to get away together again.

Thanks. grin

FluffyMummy123 Thu 28-Aug-08 15:34:21

Message withdrawn

slim22 Thu 28-Aug-08 15:54:27

Get a taxi to place de la concorde to get into "grandiose" mode full swing.

Walk up from there to rond point des champs elysees for grand perspective on the arc de triomphe.

Turn left and stop at the grand Palais and walk dowb towards pont alexandre and beautiful perspective on Invalides.

Turn right along the seine and walk up to place de l'alma and then up to trocadero . Stop on esplanade to admire Eiffel tower from high ground then up to the place du trocadero for a posh chocolat chaud or aperitif.

Head out for dinner.

Thursday have breakfast in typical parisian style in a cafe jn st germain des pres (rue de buci or place st sulpice) - walk around st germain and down rue bonaparte (very expensive antiques).
Cross de seine on pont des arts and walk towards louvre.
Short visit then walk along tuileries and stop there for late lunch in a bistro.

Head up to butte montmartre to catch the sunset if its a clear day.
dinner in typical bistro. try and get lost in side streets ratger than very touristy place.

Friday morning stay in marais and get a feel of the busy rue des rosiers preparing for sabath, late breakfast or early lunch places des vosges.

You can tell i miss it!

slim22 Thu 28-Aug-08 15:57:02

It is of course a very touristy itinerary. but a good digest for a preview.
Try and walk as much as you can or hop on buses.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 28-Aug-08 15:57:35

Message withdrawn

BlingLovin Thu 28-Aug-08 17:41:46

Invest £5.99 in an online Hedonists' Guide to Paris. They are brilliant. Especially for restaurants - if it says "Restuarant x is small, cosy and friendly, although the waiters don't speak much english. Eat the steak but avoid the mussels" that will be 100% accurate. It's weird.

www.hg2.com

branflake81 Fri 29-Aug-08 10:35:18

jardins de luxembourg v nice.

go to place des vosges, very pretty and in the marais if you stay there.

When I lived there I always dropped by St Eustache church in les Halles. It's really pretty and no queues like Notre Dame. Also the Saint Suplice church is lovely but nowadays full of Da Vinci code fans!

If you like art, go to the Rodin museum. It's in his old house and garden and well worth a visit.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Sat 30-Aug-08 15:55:09

I second a visit to the Rodin Museum - it is beautiful - not just the sculpture but the house/grounds it is set in.

SqueakyPop Sat 30-Aug-08 16:03:52

Get a ParisPass - it lets you into all the major museums and other attractions for free.

Do a Seine trip early on your visit so that you get an idea of the scale of the city.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now