Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for break alone following bereavment

(16 Posts)
Sorrel Fri 18-Feb-05 16:54:55

Has anyone any ideas about where i could go for a couple of days. i would like to be able to relax and be left alone without looking like a conspicuous single woman. my brother died and i had a miscarriage , both within the last couple of months. My DH will stay at home to look after my brothers daughter so i don't want to be too far away. Uk or ireland or france. i just want some head space away from the phone.

alexsmum Fri 18-Feb-05 16:56:35

sorry can't suggest anywhere sorrel as id on't go anywhere(!) but hope you find somewhere nice. sounds like a good idea , anice way to get some space and peace.

fisil Fri 18-Feb-05 16:59:32

sorrel, i am so sorry.

If you have loads and loads of money, Le Manoir is wonderful. I was a bit afraid that it would be so posh that I wouldn't be able to relax, but it is actually sooo posh that they make absolutely everyone feel welcome. If I could afford it, then it would definitely be the place that I would go to to be alone, quiet and inconspicuous (but not ignored!) for a couple of days. And it's close to Oxford & Bicester so you can do some delicious book or designer outlet shopping if you feel up to it.

Chandra Fri 18-Feb-05 17:00:50

Sorry to hear about your problems. many hugs

Brugges is lovely, good for a relaxed short holiday in a welcoming atmosphere. Just be sure to book a hotel in short walking distance or in the city centre. It's easy accessible by ferry. I believe P&) Stena offer mini cruises from Hull to Zeebruge for 24 pounds return at this time of the year, which includes 2 nights on board (cinema, and nice quiet bar available, transfers to Brugges and a day long stay in the city).T

tex111 Fri 18-Feb-05 17:06:31

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses and I really admire you for taking some time for yourself. Avignon in the south of France is lovely, charming, great for wandering but not too busy. Best of luck.

Twiglett Fri 18-Feb-05 17:06:57

health farm?

sorry for your loss

Prettybird Fri 18-Feb-05 17:10:23

How about somewhere like Stobocastle - and get some pampering done at the same time.

I promised myself to go there for "me" time after my miscarriage, but never did.

littlemissbossy Fri 18-Feb-05 17:17:26

sorry to hear of your loss sorrel
how about the Orange Tree retreat in the Yorkshire Dales, relaxation sessions, reflexology, etc and they are lovely people here

Issymum Fri 18-Feb-05 17:22:28

So sorry to hear about this Sorrel. Have you thought about a break that involves a few sessions of some kind of organised physical activity - perhaps some horse riding or pilates/yoga classes, cross-country skiing or choral singing (just throwing out wild and random ideas here)? You certainly need to spend some time alone, but it may be refreshing to intersperse that with something that is utterly absorbing and physically tiring, that releases you for just a few hours from thinking about anything.

Sorrel Fri 18-Feb-05 18:21:23

thanks for all your kind messages. All very helpful and new to me. I like the sound of The orange tree. Sounds peaceful and I don't feel up to too much physical activity at the mo.many thanks littlemissbossy

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 18-Feb-05 18:39:44

I've been to Henlow Grange on my own for a few days, which I found really good. The term "health farm" is very out of date now - I did no exercise while I was there, just had massages, aromatherapy, reflexology etc.

I was feeling very raw following a difficult bereavement and it was the perfect place for me - plenty of people also on their own, so I didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Sometimes I ordered room service if I didn't want to sit with other people in the dining room. There were plenty of places to curl up with a magazine or book.

Wherever you go, make sure you get a good room. Henlow has some lovely rooms on the ground floor which look out onto a stream and weir. If you are on your own, it's important to have pretty/scenic views from your room.

It was also good to have a couple of things planned in each day, eg massage late am, pedicure
pm - a bit of structure, but not so I was dashing from one thing to the next.

Cod Fri 18-Feb-05 19:07:21

Message withdrawn

leglebegle Fri 18-Feb-05 19:21:37

agree about a 'health farm'. I went to champneys recently and there were many women alone. we got chatting to one and she was there for some head space and said it was really working for her. you don't have to do anything physical, just relax. no mobiles allowed, nice food, you could sleep, eat, read, and get a few treatments if you felt like it. you wouldn't feel conspicuous by being alone either as this sort of place is for singles too. I went with my Mum but thought it would be nice to come on my own if I just wanted a break. sorry to hear of your losses and hope you find somewhere to go. If I was going again, which I will I'm sure, I would try hour cross hall in staffordshire which looks lovely, or ragdale hall which is supposed to be good, If you are down south, chamneys henlow grange or tring look nice.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Fri 18-Feb-05 19:22:51

Agree a health farm sounds ideal

So sorry this has happened to you . Hugsx

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Fri 18-Feb-05 19:22:51

Agree a health farm sounds ideal

So sorry this has happened to you . Hugsx

Sorrel Fri 18-Feb-05 21:12:46

thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now