Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

taking 3 toddlers on a plane by myself - mad or what?

(21 Posts)
juliax3 Sun 24-Aug-08 08:09:50

I am considering taking my 2.5year old triplets on a 12hour flight by myself for christmas, so that I can leave them with my inlaws for a few days and see long lost friends.

I figured I might get help getting to the plane and getting off the plane, but am afraid that I will not get much help from airline staff (Alitalia) once on board, so not sure it is worth the trouble.
How crazy is this idea? Or do I need to wait for DHs holidays to go?

geordieminx Sun 24-Aug-08 08:13:11

no experience of 2.5 year olds or triplets but my initial thought is MADNESS

However, in the scheme of things - its 12 hours, it will pass, and once you are there hopefully you will have a fab time and it will be worth it.

Whats the worst that could happen?

Oh and which flight are you on - just so I can avoid it? wink

bellavita Sun 24-Aug-08 08:19:23

Well at 2.5 years they will all have seats which is good thing. But will they stay strapped in say if there is turbulance etc?

Are they still in nappies? What if one needs the toilet, will the others stay in their seats?

All I can say is good luck.

wb Sun 24-Aug-08 08:29:52

What sort of plane is it? By which I mean, is it one of the big ones with rows of 4 seats together? If not, then I think it would be pretty much impossible.

As for the flight, could you keep them all sitting down nicely, manage toileting etc? How would you go to the toilet. Hopefully the airline staff will be helpful but they do have quite a lot to do.

On the other hand, if it is a night flight, then they may sleep most of the way.

You are very brave. Dh and I have made a pact to avoid any flight longer than 2 hours after flying with ds1 (then 20 mo)

sunnytimer Sun 24-Aug-08 08:39:12

Message withdrawn

bellavita Sun 24-Aug-08 08:47:09

On our flight back from Florida - a small toddler cried all night - nothing could be done for her and she had two parents to sit with and walk her up and down. It must have felt like a long night for them.

AbbeyA Sun 24-Aug-08 08:48:34

You are very brave!
I think the main problem will be what to do with the other 2 if you have a problem with one of them. Have you contacted the airline to see what sort of help you would get?

Living overseas has meant i have done a lot of travelling with little people on planes on my own. Imo the worst ages for plane travel are between 18mths and 3, they don't understand the importance of sitting down at take off and landing, they want to run around, they tired and bored easily.

Logisitics wise, people have always helped me with the getting on and off the plane, but naturally I have had little help whilst on it. It also depends on what size the plane is and whether thre are 4 seats in the middle section all together, I'm not even sure if for safety reasons they would allow more than 2 small ones under a certain age to be together without an extra adult. DD was not allowed to sit on her own across the aisle from me in business class without an adult next to her for take off and landing.

I think the only way I would be persuaded to do it would be if it was a night flight. Where will you be going?

Good luck!

poshtottie Sun 24-Aug-08 08:52:14

I think you are mad quite honestly. I don't think you will get much help from the staff unless you are sitting in first class.

Eddas Sun 24-Aug-08 08:59:53

but surely as the mother of triplets juliax3 is used to dealing with issues such as one dc needing the loo whilst doing ? with the others?

It would scare the pants off me taking 3 2.5 yo on a plane by myself but i'm not used to dealing with 3 together where as you are juliax3.

I think it's up to you, as long as the airline doesn't have a problem and you think you could do it then go for itsmile just make sure they have lots of new things to entertain them!

AbbeyA Sun 24-Aug-08 09:09:20

I expect she is used to dealing with issues with one, but it is a bit different when trapped for 12 hours in what will be a very unusual situation for the DCs. Check the seating because when I fly with 4 of us we usually have to have one person across the aisle.

I agree with Eddas, juliax3 obviously knows her limitations and will be quite used to the issues of dealing with 3 2.5 year olds whether on a plane or not. I think the questions are more a) whether it is possible/allowed according to the airline/plane configuration b) whether she will get any help when on board
c) whether the 12 hours of discomfort are worth the benefits of some time alone at the other end grin

Go for it!

AbbeyA Sun 24-Aug-08 09:37:23

I might be wrong but I thought she was asking the question because she was used to dealing with 3 and knows the likely problems.
I would go for it but I thinks she needs to find out things like seat layout first.

Buda Sun 24-Aug-08 09:57:48

You may not be allowed to do it - I would check with the airline first.

pickie Sun 24-Aug-08 10:13:38

Do your DC normally like to travel? I would travel with my DS multiplied by 3 as he loves it listens well and generally enjoys it but I struggle with DD and would never ever want to travel with 3 children like here IYSWIM.

pickie Sun 24-Aug-08 10:14:36

ohh and another thing is most planes only have rows of three so that will be a tricky one....

juliax3 Sun 24-Aug-08 11:30:17

thanks for all your advice. i will check with the airline and maybe if i drug myself as well as the children it will be a great adventure ...

juliax3 Sun 24-Aug-08 11:30:59

thanks for all your advice. i will check with the airline and maybe if i drug myself *as well as* the children it will be a great adventure ...

Dynamicnanny Sun 24-Aug-08 11:34:21

Depending where you are going maybe advertise on Gumtree for an extra pair of hands maybe some overseas nannies/aupairs are heading home and can give you a hand

quaranta Sun 24-Aug-08 11:51:15

i can only wish you luck.you are one brave mum.

callmeovercautious Mon 25-Aug-08 20:36:20

I agree with Dynamicnanny. Someone may really want a trip home for Xmas but can't afford it. If you could pay part of the fare both ways for them in exchange for a helping hand on the Plane you will be fine.

I assume your 3 are used to waiting for their turn a little bit (unlike my one 23m old!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now