Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby seat belt for planes...

(15 Posts)
meshellby Fri 15-Aug-08 12:28:33

does anyone know if you can buy an infant seatbelt for planes anywhere? Have just been on an internal flight and was told to "hold baby tightly" as there wasn't an infant seat belt available!!!!! Don't want to risk it again!!

belgo Fri 15-Aug-08 12:30:22

that's awful, and possibly breaking safety laws. I would complain to the airline. And for your next flight, ask for assurance at the check in desk that you will be given a baby seat belt.

earlyriser Fri 15-Aug-08 12:42:41

When i went on an internal flight in SA with my young d i was told they don't use infant seat belts, as research proved that it was actually safer (or no less safe) to hold your baby tightly.This was a new airline so figured they had done their research. However on most other flights they get really stroppy if you DON'T use it (eg if trying to breastfeed during take off/landing.) So who knows what the truth is!

MatNanPlus Fri 15-Aug-08 12:45:01

I always carry my ring sling just in case as have been given one that had a damaged buckle so used my ring sling instead.

I would make a complaint tho MeShellBy

RedHead81 Fri 15-Aug-08 12:48:42

Ring sling a great idea!
they come in handy for all sorts of things don't they!?

I made mine using instructions i found on the net
x

bigspender30 Fri 15-Aug-08 12:49:26

which airline was this? Am surprised they let you fly tbh

lou031205 Fri 15-Aug-08 12:55:38

From the Civil Aviation Authority site. I would read that as meaning that your airline broke the law:

Regulations require that all passengers be secured by means of the seat belt provided whenever the seat belt sign is on. In the case of infants under the age of 2 years and young children up to the age of 3 years restraint should be achieved in one of the following ways:

* Infants under six months of age must be secured on an adult's lap by means of a child restraint device (CRD) acceptable to the Authority.
* Children under 2 years of age must be seated either on an adult's lap (with theCRD) or properly secured in a car type safety seat provided by the passenger and acceptable to the airline, or an aircraft type safety seat specifically designed for infants provided by the airline.
* The use of a car type or aircraft type safety seat is permitted for children between 6 months and 3 years of age.

In the UK, a car type or aircraft safety seat must be fitted in the same direction as the passenger seat on which it is positioned.

A CRD is considered to be acceptable if is a 'supplementary loop belt' or a device which can be installed properly on the respective airline seat.

The policy on the criteria and use of both CRD's and car type safety seats can differ between airlines, so it is important to contact your airline well in advance of your flight to ensure that the CRD or car type safety seat you are proposing to use is acceptable.

MatNanPlus Fri 15-Aug-08 17:37:48

They do indeed RedhHead81 mine has been an emergency hammock on a pram for a suddenly ill toddler and great for heavy shopping/items

alvinandthechipmunks Fri 15-Aug-08 17:57:22

I had this with ds when he was about 18 months - it was an Air Berlin flight lasting about 2 hours and they didn't have any baby seat belts. I was really quite shocked tbh.

earlyriser Fri 15-Aug-08 19:46:43

The thing is though, if you think about how the seatbelt is designed, i'm not entirely convinced that, in the event of an accident, it would do any good. My children always seem to wriggle themselves around, try and stand up etc, and i've never been able to get the belt tight enough to prevent this. Maybe if you were holding on you'd be more inclined to ensure they were secure in your arms iyswim?

Islandmom Sun 31-Aug-08 02:36:20

I just came back from a long flight ( Miami-Rio de Janeiro- Miami). American Airline flght attendant litterally laughed in my face when asking for a child seat belt, to make matters worse, he made a loud joke as if to be funny to the other passengers saying that IF I wanted to choke my child then at least AA would not stand by to allow it. Of course, the flight attendant was rude and insensitive, and even if most AA attendants have an attitude problem it doesn't warrant making fun of their passengers. I have flown with both Air France and KLM on Atlantic flights this summer with my child, receiving WONDERFUL attention and assistance. I was quite shocked with AA!! flying to Rio meant a nearly 9 hour night flight, and I just spent 4 hours on a plane to get to Miami and another 5 hours intransit at the airport. This would mean I would not be able to sleep a wink. How could I hold on to my child while both of us are sleeping? I am surprised at American Airlines and their staffs apparent lack of CARE! On all AA flights I have taken this year the lack of Care or shall we say, their lack of sensitivity from their crews are apparant. Further I beleive AA is breaking the guidelines of the FAA, in failing to offer a CRS (Child Restraint System)and failing to inform of the lack of one at the time of purchasing the ticket. Next time I will fly with TAM to Brazil and keep using Air France and KLM for my European flights. Frequent Flier Baby!

annmar Sun 31-Aug-08 07:06:55

DH flies light aircraft and we bought a child seat belt when DD1 was born. Its exactly the same as the ones we've been given on commercial flights.

I don't know where he got it from, I'll ask him when he wakes up.

quaranta Sun 31-Aug-08 07:19:11

Yes flown several times with AA and they don't use them. I just presumed that different countries/airlines have different views on the safety of baby belts vs holding them in your lap in the case of turbulence or more violent movement. AA not great attitude I agree.

turtle23 Sun 31-Aug-08 07:35:27

About to do an 11 hr flight to vancouver with 5 month old...will be back to check where you get them from!!

annmar Sun 31-Aug-08 07:49:58

DH is awake now.

We got ours from here www.flyingshop.com/default1.asp

Apparantly it wasn't listed on the web, but DH phoned them and ordered one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now