Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how long can a canadian citizen stay in the uk?

(7 Posts)
hercules Tue 15-Feb-05 08:00:50

Does anyone know how long a Canadian Citizen with no work permit can stay here in the uk?

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Feb-05 08:04:15

The tourist visa is 3 months or 6 months. I'll check when I can get to my old passport (in room with sleeping baby).

hercules Tue 15-Feb-05 08:05:14

What would happen if someone came here to this country for a weeks holiday and then didnt catch their flight back?

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Feb-05 08:08:56

Hard to say. As long as they left, by some means, before the time limit was up, and then re-entered, they could probably keep coming and going for a little while?

I guess, as they don't stamp your passport on departure any more, they might not be able to tell the person hadn't left?

That being said, I wouldn't mess with Immigration. It's best to follow all the rules, or they can make life very hard for you. (A friend of mine was turned back at Heathrow for essentially homophobic reasons, we think, and forever needed a visa, before visiting, after that.)

Canadians have some interesting rights here - if they have a UK-born grandparent, moving here is very easy.

hercules Tue 15-Feb-05 08:09:57

Thanks

Ameriscot2005 Tue 15-Feb-05 08:16:43

If they did not return at the end of their authorised stay (the stamp is usually given for six months) then they'd be in the UK illegally, and when the Home Office caught up with them, they'd be arrested and deported. Their passport would be black marked and they would not be eligible for visa-free entry into the UK again. It would also be almost impossible for them to obtain a visa.

Do things the legal way and apply for the correct visa for the type of stay.

hercules Tue 15-Feb-05 09:35:26

It's not about me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now