Talk

Advanced search

Is this do - able???

(14 Posts)
PinkChick Thu 14-Aug-08 23:25:29

we've paid for a hol (flights and accom) the whole thing was far less than it should have cost (half price), dp (as per other threads) now wants to stay (and so do i tbh now) in diff hotel with many more facilites..can we keep this booking as it is, but when we get there tell hotel we're staying elsewere and do this????????

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 15-Aug-08 00:00:15

Surely you need to cancel the booking before arrival otherwise you may be liable for the hotel bill anyway, regardless of whether you actually stay there or not? Have you booked with the hotel direct or through an agent? If its via an agent then perhaps you can transfer the booking?

SqueakyPop Fri 15-Aug-08 06:59:56

No you can't shock (assume you mean without being out of pocket).

poshtottie Fri 15-Aug-08 07:50:18

Yes you can but obviously you will be paying for the extra hotel.

PinkChick Fri 15-Aug-08 08:15:27

no, sorry i didnt explain properly, we have booked and paid for the flight AND accom, the whole thing cost LESS that what the flights normally are, but we have acoom AS WELL..we are now wanting to upgrade to better hotel but travel agent who we have booked with doesnt do holidays at the new hotel so we have contacted hotel direct and found out cost for hotel only for that week.

i want to know wether we would need to let travel agen t know we wont be staying at hotel we have booked, or wether to let hotel know before we get there? and if there will be any problems ie: transfers to airport etc?

we have STILL paid for the 1st hotel(in effect), just wont be using it

poshtottie Fri 15-Aug-08 08:24:19

My parents often do this when going to Goa as the package with charter flights is cheaper than booking scheduled flights.

SqueakyPop Fri 15-Aug-08 09:38:16

As long as you don't expect the first hotel to refund your money, you can do what you like.

PinkChick Fri 15-Aug-08 10:25:59

no i dont expect them tor efund anything, just didnt want to be scrapped from airport transfers etc if we dont stay with THAT hotel??

MrsWeasley Fri 15-Aug-08 10:29:32

Is food covered in the amount you have already paid?

If it isnt the hotel may be annoyed as it is potential income they are missing out on but you wont be there to worry about that.

tiredemma Fri 15-Aug-08 10:30:50

When you arrive at LCA airport you will need to tell the (first choice is it?) rep that you are staying in your own accom but want the transfers still.

Is the new accom next to the old accom, if so then they shouldnt have aprobelm taking you on the bus- they wont however drop you off at your 'new' hotel if its nowhere near where they were originally going to take you.

You will also need to tell them that you intend to take the transfer back on the last day and for this you will need to be at the 'old' hotel for pick up.

The rep should ideally tell the 'old' hotel that you are not staying there. You MUST inform the rep that although you are not staying in the prebooked accom, you are using your flights seats home, if the hotel inform the tour op that you have not arrived, they may assume that you dont want your return seats and resell them.

tiredemma Fri 15-Aug-08 10:32:59

The 'old' hotel wont really be bothered if you are not using their rooms- tehy will already be payed by first choice and will be able to resell the room ( they will most probably use it for any 'Allocation on arrival' guests that arrive on the island in the next few days- the tour ops will rebook the room)

PinkChick Fri 15-Aug-08 13:06:14

hi, no we were going into s/c appartment, no food included.
this new one we have found inc half board and food is meant to be excellent, so a lot of the extra money is condoned by the breakfast and evening meal/lunch, not sure which it will be?

am just worried there will be a cock up and rep will just 'cross us off' thus missing our trnasfers back etc?..is it best to ring them NOW and explain all this? or would they be funny???like i say we have paid them what they asked for flights and room, so even they are free to re-sell room, just dont want to be left in lurch!..and yes, hotel is literally over road and right a bit, ours was the only s/c apartments between 4 very swish hotels, this new one beng the best for lots of reasons..need to get this all sorted otherwise ill be panicking it will all go tips up!

tiredemma Fri 15-Aug-08 13:14:23

As long as you tell the rep as soon as you arrive, then you should be ok.

It might be worth having a walk over to your original complex and seeing the rep there also, to ensure that they dont cross you off the transfer list.

There will also be a 24 hour telephone number available in resort, you can call these to ensure that your transfer is still booked.

PinkChick Fri 15-Aug-08 15:07:35

right, will prob do that then..have spoke to friend who although isnt travel agent she is steweress for virgin, so knows more about hotels and hols than mesmile..shes suggested same, ill ring them later and again as if upgrade poss, if not ask about staying in dif hotel and ask for flight details to be reconfirmed(i d already have them here though)..hopefully we wont be stranded in cyprus!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now