Talk

Advanced search

mosquito bites

(16 Posts)
louise66 Thu 14-Aug-08 09:02:55

Just wondered if anyone could recommend any lotions or potions suitable for DC aged 13 months and 5 1/2 yrs ? We will be staying in a campsite near venice where they are apparently ferocious and the place is infested with them... I'm taking it for granted that they will get bitten so want to go well prepared. Thanks Louise

SqueakyPop Thu 14-Aug-08 09:10:13

You can use repellants with up to 10% Deet, but you should wash them off when they are no longer at risk.

Lilymaid Thu 14-Aug-08 09:12:59

Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 14-Aug-08 14:28:48

I used an aromatherapy blend on myself and the DCs when we went to Sardinia a few weeks ago. We usually get very badly bitten but I'm extremely reluctant to use conventional anti-mozzie stuff. Using this blend, I got just 1 bite in 2 weeks and the kids weren't bitten at all: 4 drops lavender (lavandula angustifolia) and 2 drops citronella blended into 30mls of olive oil (I was worried about the base oil spilling into my case so just bought best quality extra virgin olive oil in resort). This is a very low dilution and is suitable for babies over a year old but I make sure I don't put blend on DCs hands (in case they are "finger suckers" like mine!!). For myself, I used 9 drops lavender, 4 drops peppermint oil and 2 drops citronella in 30mls olive oil. This is a stronger blend and should not be used on the kids. You can buy the essential oils from most health food shops but go for a good brand such as Neals Yard or Tisserand (you could even buy direct from those companies online if you have the time).

meshellby Fri 15-Aug-08 12:23:42

There is a product called Mosiguard which you can get from chemists which doesn't contain DEET, I've used it on my 3 month old DD in India with no problems.

I second Mosiguard, get it from www.travelpharm.co.uk I have used it the last 7 years in Africa on 3 dc from a month upwards.

SoupDragon Fri 15-Aug-08 16:59:53

Skin-so-soft doesn't work. Tried it in Antigua this year!

MadameCastafiore Fri 15-Aug-08 17:00:35

We have a little thing that you press on the bites and it disperses the poison is a yellow thingy from boots.

SqueakyPop Fri 15-Aug-08 17:02:28

Does it quarter them, madame?

When I get a mosquito bite, I cut it into four with my thumbnail, and it goes in no time. DH said that he used to have a little gadget that did the same.

RedHead81 Fri 15-Aug-08 17:05:15

vinegar is supposed to be good when you already have a bite

lemon juice is a god repellant, but not in the day obv because then you'll attract wasps

RedHead81 Fri 15-Aug-08 17:06:51

lemon juice is a *good repellant not GOD repellant

you'll have little devils to repel then!

dorothybunny Sat 16-Aug-08 14:05:45

Does anyone know if the Mosiguard is ok for use during pregnancy as well as on small children? Will be 13 weeks with #3 when we go on holiday so need something safe for myself as well as for my boys aged 3 and 1.

I used it daily during all 3 of my pregnancies with no problems, actually imo it was the only one that worked well on me. You have to turn a blind eye to the smell though smile

Gingerbear Sat 16-Aug-08 17:54:23

I love the smell of mosiguard - it has lemongrass / citronella in it.

TsarChasm Sat 16-Aug-08 18:01:29

Yes the little zapper/clicker things are good if you do get bitten.

We used Avon SSS spray and had no trouble on our second visit to France this month.

In June for first visit (minus Avon SSS) we were savaged. Dh says it's also because he bought a really good Citronella candle for the second visit, but he has more faith in them than I do. Naplam is a better solution winkgrin

zette Wed 03-Sep-08 16:17:58

Thanks for this
would like some advice on staying safe with 3 mth old in malaria risk country
and would appreciate some advice from meshellby who mentioned being in india with 3 mth old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now