Talk

Advanced search

Oh god I just realised that the children dont have enough clothes to last them all holiday!

(20 Posts)
2point4kids Tue 12-Aug-08 16:40:10

Oh dear.

We are going away for 10 days quite soon and staying in hotel/apartment with no washing machine in Italy.

I have just realised that both boys only have about 4 or 5 pairs of shorts and T shirts each!
They have more clothes but long trousers and jumpers etc which wont be suitable.

At home I put a wash on every day so theres no problem, but on holiday we wont be able to!

The boys are 2 years and 6 months so DS1 will get very dirty every day and DS2 will no doubt either be sick or poo on his clothes once a day.

What do people do???? Buy more clothes just for the holiday?? Or handwash (which I am crap at and dont want to spend my holiday doing!!) everything several times???

I suppose I could look at cheap bundles of summer stuff on ebay/freecycle if I get a move on.... help!

stealthsquiggle Tue 12-Aug-08 16:43:08

what do I do? Book somewhere with a washing machine grin

Sorry, that doesn't help you. Are there no clothes washing facilities at all?

SqueakyPop Tue 12-Aug-08 16:44:17

Take some washing tabs and either handwash in the bath or take the clothes to a launderette.

Be economical with your clothes while you are there - don't allow multiple changes of clothes a day (ie when they put on bathing suits, they should put their original clothes back on afterwards), and don't worry about minor blemishes.

LadyMuck Tue 12-Aug-08 16:44:46

Are you sure that there are no washing facilities? Have you phoned the hotel to ask? Very rare ime.

2point4kids Tue 12-Aug-08 16:45:03

Can you tell its our first family holiday? grin

I am pretty sure there are no washing facilities. I have looked through the website. I could call the travel agent and ask them to phone and check though to make sure.

What a numpty I am!

Dropdeadfred Tue 12-Aug-08 16:45:13

does the apartment have no laundry faciliies at all?

i would take some handwash liquid...handwashing and rinsing tddler/babay clothes will take no time at all and the clothes shoulddry on the balcony really quickly

LIZS Tue 12-Aug-08 16:45:50

Are you sure there aren't any laundry facilities within the complex ? You could handwash once or twice and dry on balcony or over shower - the sun will bleach out any stains and it really won't take long

2point4kids Tue 12-Aug-08 16:47:43

Ok just double checked and they do 'dry cleaning'
That sounds more expensive than going to Primark and getting more clothes to me!

littlerach Tue 12-Aug-08 16:47:48

Handwash stuff when you're half way through clothes.

Dries really easily.

SqueakyPop Tue 12-Aug-08 16:48:12

We are just back from a 10 day holiday with no washing facilities. I spent about an hour washing in the bath (and there are seven of us). Everything was dry within 24 hours. It really wasn't that much hassle at all.

HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 16:48:45

Will it be hot? If so surely they'll be wearing hardly anything all day long anyway and just a teeshirt in the evening. We took ds to St Lucia when he was 4/5 months old and I stupidly bought loads of clothes for him, he ended up wearing nothing but a nappy all day, and occasionally a teeshirt.

Mercy Tue 12-Aug-08 16:48:59

With ds1 you can just sponge off any little bits of dirt.

Or if you have a supermarket nearby just buy some cheap shorts or t-shirts (I got several shorts for about £2 each in Sainsbury's)

Megglevache Tue 12-Aug-08 16:49:30

Go to primark and get those 3 for £3 T shirts, long (slightly bigger size) they can wear those without shorts if they get grubby.

Get some handwash if it's hot they will dry quickly.

HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 16:49:56

Loads of places like Mothercare are selling off their summer stuff so you can pick up some bargains, so perhaps you can get just a couple more things to see you through.

LadyMuck Tue 12-Aug-08 16:50:43

I would get the travel agent to phone. Explain that you are travelling with young children and will need to wash clothes and howw can this best be done.

LIZS Tue 12-Aug-08 16:51:08

Recommend buying Genie Express gel over there, take a nail brush and do it while you're waiting for the kids to settle in bed. It really isn't that much of a deal.

2point4kids Tue 12-Aug-08 16:51:29

Ok good advice all round!

I'm going to get some handwash stuff and also some cheapy T shirts in Primark and then just hope for the best!!

We are going to a posh wedding there during the holiday. I have got one nice smart outfit for each of us. Whats the betting at least one of us will be covered in food or puke by the end of the day? grin

bellavita Tue 12-Aug-08 16:52:15

Beware of the dry cleaning. A few years ago we went to Tenerife and I had some clothes laundered - literally a couple of summer shirts, couple of undies, couple of t/shirts and it cost £35.

LoveMyGirls Tue 12-Aug-08 16:53:14

We went camping and I used the lauderette, wasn't so bad and better than coming home and having to wash and dry and put everything away as well as unpacking and cleaning the house ready to start back at work.

notwavingjustironing Tue 12-Aug-08 16:54:30

all the Boots summer kids stuff is half price at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now