Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ever cancelled a family holiday due to illhealth?

(19 Posts)
notsohappycherry Tue 12-Aug-08 11:30:36

My DP is v ill at the moment, we may have to cancel our family holiday abroad next week. His symtoms only started after booking in March, so insurance should be ok.
Is it a big hassle to cancel?
Not looking forward to it, nor telling the kids...

LIZS Tue 12-Aug-08 11:32:05

You need a dr's cert and to ring the insurance asap.

notsohappycherry Tue 12-Aug-08 11:33:28

Yes he has appt for dr on Thursday for that.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notsohappycherry Tue 12-Aug-08 11:37:57

Not nosey...just interested!! It has not yet been diagnosed, waiting for scan results, in a lot of abdominal/back pain, no treatments seem to be working. Feeling miserable so not looking forward to feeling so rubbish when he is supposed to be enjoying himself. Bordering on depression because of relentless pain.

mummylin2495 Tue 12-Aug-08 11:40:35

We had to cancel a trip to Barcelona as my husband developed cellulitis in his leg the day before we were due to go.The hospital advised us to cancel as they said dh,s leg could worsen and if you went to another country knowing you have an illness it could nullify any insurance,it is different if you develope the illness while you are away.We had to send in a certificate and we had no trouble whatsoever in claiming back our money.

notsohappycherry Tue 12-Aug-08 11:43:13

THink its gone past that really, though we have discussed all that. He feels so rotten, and worries about if he gets worse while we are away. Not sure if his worrying is making his symptoms worse, bit of a vicious circle. Boo Hoo!
Am not too devasted, there will be other times...just want him better, quick!

notsohappycherry Tue 12-Aug-08 11:44:29

Thanks for that mummylin, makes me feel bit better. Hope its not much hassle.

notsohappycherry Tue 12-Aug-08 11:47:44

Any day soon, all bit vague at the doctors, hense appt on Thursday. Ho Hum.

PollyLogos Tue 12-Aug-08 12:13:46

Hi notsohappycherry, hope your dh is feeling better soon and that the scan results are good.

You don't say where you are going on holiday but if it is Greece (where I am ) I would definitely recommend canceling. Although the greek NHS is not all bad and there are some great doctors, overall it is not the best place to be ill.

notsohappycherry Tue 12-Aug-08 13:11:37

We are actually 'supposed to be' going on a cruise on the Med, which sounds idyllic and was a bargain...but because it is not just a sit-on-your-bum-and-soak-up-the-sun type hol, it is just making his issues worse. There are excursions every day which means busy busy busy.
Next time huh?!

Heated Tue 12-Aug-08 13:17:55

Missed out on a free trip to Washington DC & holiday to Mexico when I dislocated my knee. You need forms from the insurers which your doctor will fill in. Took a few months to pay out, minus the excess. If his diagnosis is pending maybe the gp first?

willali Thu 14-Aug-08 09:41:09

yes - have cancelled 2 holidays due to children illness. Only loss was the insurance excess, after getting doctor certificate it is a very easy process in my experience and got mpone back within a couple of weeks. NEVER go without insurance now!!!

mummylin2495 Fri 15-Aug-08 21:10:48

notsohappycherry did you have to cancel your holiday or is it ok after all ?

cheerycherry Sat 16-Aug-08 11:34:11

mummylin, yes we cancelled, DP still same, but a bit relieved we are not going, even though kids disappointed. Currently searching online frantically for short uk/not too far away/stressfree break. But as expected, bank hol/summer hols.....everywhere is FULL!

mummylin2495 Sat 16-Aug-08 20:49:29

i had the same problem two weeks ago ,i was looking for a short break for me ,my dd and her two dd.s finally found long weekend at butlins and we go on the 22nd ,fri sat and sun ,The internet were showing places had vacancies but when i tried to book anything they were all full. good luck to your dh ,hope he is soon recovered and i hope you find a holiday .

cheerycherry Sat 16-Aug-08 21:00:38

Thanks chick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now