Talk

Advanced search

BA British Airways and prams

(16 Posts)
monkeysmama Mon 11-Aug-08 21:09:32

Good evening

I am flying with BA to Italy on Saturday and despite having read the ticket info and looked at their website I am not sure what their policy for prams is.

I have a 3 month old dd. We are taking our Quinny Speedi with the carry cot and Maxi Cosi car seat (she sleeps in the carry cot and I want to have our own car seat with us).

Can I take the car seat on the plane with me?
Does the pram bit and the carry cot go in the hold?
Do we get to keep the pram with us until we board or do we have to give it in?
Anyone been to an airport recently with LO in a sling? Is it crazy getting them in and out?

Thanks wink
MM

ilovemydog Mon 11-Aug-08 21:17:26

I've travelled with BA at various stages with a baby/toddler.

They will let you take the buggy/pram up to the check in gate, but then you have to give it up. They then chuck in into the hold and you pick it up from baggage claim...

If I were you, I would bring a sling...

jura Mon 11-Aug-08 21:18:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

monkeysmama Mon 11-Aug-08 21:27:47

Thanks for comments. Jura I want to take car seat so I know it isn't being thrown all over the place! I worked on the building of an airport and from the windo of the site office we could see the bags etc being loaded on and off planes. I was shocked by the way prams are treated!

jura Mon 11-Aug-08 22:02:28

SoupDragon Mon 11-Aug-08 22:05:08

I've just flown BA long haul and I did see a family with a 1st stage carseat on board. The crew took it away somewhere and then brought it out for the baby to sit in during the flight (on one of those pull down table thingies on the bulk head, not a seat).

Prams were handed in at the gate (and were bloody well last off today despite my luggage being first! was mightily peed off)

SoupDragon Mon 11-Aug-08 22:06:19

I'd recommend a sling. I took BabyDragon to Spain at 3 months old in a sling and it was fab.

jura Mon 11-Aug-08 22:07:27

Denny185 Mon 11-Aug-08 22:09:27

Think you can only take the car seats on if your in bulk head seats. We had to check ours in with the suitcases and buggy went in at the gate, picked back up with luggage so Id take a sling for when you get off.

monkeysmama Mon 11-Aug-08 22:11:38

Mmmm - I have emailed BA to ask. Since having my LO I feel the need to be extra organised and know what is happening in advance! We're going away with another couple and their 5yo ds and 6 month old dd so faffing with car seats, prams and slings could easily prove too much if we're not prepared!

Jura grin at you passing LO to the cabin crew.

JamInMyWellies Mon 11-Aug-08 22:16:12

Think you might have trouble with the carry cot bit when we flew BA to NY last summer their rule was that the buggy had to be fully collapsable in one, on their website they have something which gives you the dimensions allowed. We had a quinny buzz but did not use the carrycot bit.

daizydoo Mon 11-Aug-08 22:29:34

Have recently travelled longhaul with BA. IIRC the car seat has to go in the hold and be checked in with all your baggage. It depends on the airport whether whether it gets sent the fragile route or not. I think you can take the car seat on if you pay for a seat for your child. I would take the sling as it can be a fair old walk to get your pushchair from baggage reclaim!

MrsMcJnr Mon 11-Aug-08 23:11:08

Hi, we flew BA to Antigua in April with our 12 week old. We were allowed to keep our car seat with us until we boarded and then they stashed it on the plane and gave it back to us as we got off. Make sure you get a tag for it! I think sometimes they take it from you at the gate, depends on the staff. We had to pay 10% of the ticket price for our baby but we did get a full baggage allowance plus we were able to take the car seat in addition to it. I can't remember the chat on the buggy I'm afraid as we decided not to take ours. Have a great holiday!

canofworms Mon 11-Aug-08 23:14:01

I flew with ba in June and we were told unless it was an umbrella fold pushchair ot would have to be checked in with the cases!!

Fortunately ours was and they put it in a locker onn board which was ace as we had it as soon as we got off the plane.

Apparently their policy has just changed and lots of people aren't happy about it.

PortAndLemon Mon 11-Aug-08 23:26:30

I've checked a carseat as "Fragile" luggage before (you need to go to a special desk to drop it off).

babyOcho Tue 12-Aug-08 05:35:24

We just flew BA longhaul with DD - we got a Bugaboo travel bag so the whole lot went in there and then in the hold (Quinny may also make them), this meant that the Bugagoo, incl. cot bit, was fairly well protected.

We took the car seat on the plane with us, but they insisted that they put a tag on it. It's at the discretion of the crew/staff at the gate as to whether they let you on with it - they did let us on with it.

We also had a sling for when we went through which was no hassle. I would say even better than having any kind of buggy airside.

Defo take a sling. Italy isn't that far, so you wont have the same problem.... DD decided that she didnt want to sleep but was knackered so I slung her to get her to sleep.

Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now