Advanced search

Things to do and places to eat in Vienna

(12 Posts)
grumpyfrumpy Sun 13-Feb-05 14:46:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grumpyfrumpy Mon 14-Feb-05 11:25:17

lapsedrunner Mon 14-Feb-05 11:32:33

I live in Vienna so should be able to help! I"ll give it more thought and post properly when I don't have a toddler demanding my attention.

grumpyfrumpy Mon 14-Feb-05 11:52:38

lapsedrunner Mon 14-Feb-05 12:13:45

Yes easy, have a look at www.cityairporttrain.at plus for general info www.wien.at (both have english versions). Will post more this evening when ds is in bed:0

MummytoSteven Mon 14-Feb-05 12:30:47

vienna has oodles of art galleries etc, and the odd palace or two in the city centre and environs, as well as lots of nice cafes -

that sound your sort of thing. not the world's best shopping town it has to be said.

MummytoSteven Mon 14-Feb-05 12:31:10

and the public transport is excellent and cheap - trains/trams/buses

grumpyfrumpy Mon 14-Feb-05 12:43:05

RTKangaMummy Mon 14-Feb-05 12:53:46

Hope you are not on a diet

There are soooooooo many lovely cake shops and cafes.

yumyummmm

lapsedrunner Mon 14-Feb-05 19:54:36

Hi grumpyfrumpy, I'm biased as I live here but Vienna really is a lovely city to visit. Relatively small, easy to get around (fantastic public transport) and lots to see. Depends where you are staying and where your business meetings are but if you are in the 1st District (centre) you can reach most places on foot. I assume you will be bringing a guide book (I find the Dorling Kindersley eyewitness series very good), in which case you will have info on the main sights so I won't go into detail however some recommendations, in no particular order, are as follows:
1. A general walk around the 1st District.
2. Coffee and Sachertorte or Apple Strudel in a traditional cafe, I recommend Cafe Central.
3. Museum of Fine Arts.
4. Schloss Belvedere (palace now used as art gallery showing Klimt etc), walkable from city centre or take 71 tram.
5. Take underground (U4) to Schonbrunn (palace), never been inside but take a walk up to the Gloriette and enjoy a coffee and view from the cafe. If you have time to spare the Zoo (Tiergarten) at Schonbrunn is really good, and I'm not normally into Zoos.
6. Naschmarkt - excellent daily open air market.
7 Take 38 tram from Schottentor to its end stop at Grinzing (about 20-25 mins) which is famed for its Heurigen, best described as pubs that serve local wines and basic Austrian food.
8. The places to eat question is difficult as there are just so many little resturants and cafes all serving fairly decent food, you certainly won't starve but be prepared for fairly "substantial" food.
I could go on and on, just let me know if you ahve any more questions. Are you staying somewhere central?

grumpyfrumpy Tue 15-Feb-05 08:38:27

lapsedrunner Tue 15-Feb-05 10:21:50

Le Meridien is in a perefct location, walkable to all the main sights. A recommendation for a nice meal (or just a coffee) close to your hotel is the Palmenhaus in the Burgarten right over the road from Le Meridien, just ask the concierge. Enjoy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now