Talk

Advanced search

Walking with young children and Ramblers Association

(11 Posts)
lazaroulovespastries Sat 09-Aug-08 12:12:46

Does anyone regularly go walking with young children and take pushchairs?

I have looked at the RA website but I'm a little confused as to which groups to be looking at.

Anyone part of any walking groups?

ProfYaffle Sat 09-Aug-08 12:27:06

I used to be in a 'young' Ramblers group pre dcs but I've not been out with them for a few years now.

The thing with the RA is that each group is different and organises itself along differene lines, some advertise special 'family' walks but they seem to be few and far between and are often linked to special events rather than a regular thing.

If I were you I'd check out the group local to your area and see what they do.

ProfYaffle Sat 09-Aug-08 12:28:52

PS, if your local group doesn't do anything along those lines they may be open to suggestions and be willing to organise something. Depends on the attitude of the group, some are more open to new ideas than others.

lazaroulovespastries Sat 09-Aug-08 12:36:14

Thanks py, there are a few family walks but none are anywhere near me.
Do you know if you have to be a member before you can join the groups?

PortAndLemon Sat 09-Aug-08 13:19:29

There is, theoretically, a London Families' Walking Group in the RA. And it is, theoretically, about to be kick-started again (I know because I've been in touch with local RA bods volunteering to help restart it). But if you're not in or arund London that won't help. You could suggest organising family walks to your local group, maybe start the ball rolling by organising one yourself and then conscript encourage those who show up to join in organising subsequent walks.

You need to be a member to join the groups, but most (all?) of them are happy to let non-members come on the walks. You do need to be a member to organise an official RA-authorised walk, though, for insurance reasons.

ProfYaffle Sat 09-Aug-08 13:22:11

Whereabouts are you Lazarou?

lazaroulovespastries Sat 09-Aug-08 13:52:29

Trowbridge in Wiltshire. There is a family walking group in somerset but when I go to the membership page it just says family walking group.
I have sent the membership dept an email. The website has completely flummoxed me.

ProfYaffle Sat 09-Aug-08 17:40:41

Oh bum, not one of the areas I know.

this any help? For some bizarre reason many groups have their own websites which aren't linked to the main RA site.

ProfYaffle Sat 09-Aug-08 17:54:23

Derbyshire has all the best walking groups Could provide inspiration for your local group, it was Derbyshire who started the whole 'young' ramblers thing and that's huge now.

lazaroulovespastries Sat 09-Aug-08 18:19:13

The derbyshire one looks all nice and welcoming, but the wiltshire one looks like local walks for local old people.
Cheers py, I shall see if they respond to my mail.

ProfYaffle Sat 09-Aug-08 18:32:23

Lol, that's the Rambler's for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now