Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can I put 7 year old DS on his booster seat in the front passenger seat if it has an air bag?

(11 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 07-Aug-08 20:55:29

Will it be safe? or does it depend on the car/height of child/type of booster seat???

TIA

LIZS Thu 07-Aug-08 20:57:52

You can but it should be put as far back as possible and the rear seat is recommended safetywise.

Hulababy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:58:51

It isn;'t recommended. However it is legal. Can you not turn the airbag off? If not, put the seat in its furthest back position.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 07-Aug-08 20:59:16

Best not to if you can avoid it.

Air bags go off for minor crashes, and sometimes kill small adults, never mind 7-year-olds.

Can you disable the air bag? If you must put your child in this seat, do as LIZS says and put them as far back as possible.

mckenzie Thu 07-Aug-08 21:37:01

I can't disable the air bag without booking the car into the garage and this is for a one off journey tomorrow. I can put the seat right far back as it will be 3 year old DD behind.

I want to do this so that I can take three children plus three bikes to the park - the park doesn't have any swings or slides or anything, it's home made entertainment only hence why I wanted to take the bikes. The DC's cousins will be there with their bikes.

Shall I do it or shall I forget the bikes?
What's the vote according to the Mumsnet jury please?

NotQuiteCockney Thu 07-Aug-08 21:50:04

I would do it, assuming it's not a long journey.

mckenzie Thu 07-Aug-08 22:14:31

no, not long, about 10 mins.

bozza Thu 07-Aug-08 22:26:52

I would do it with the seat pushed back as stated.

Hulababy Fri 08-Aug-08 10:10:26

Put the heaviest and tallest child in the front, seat as far back as possible. And drive at a steady speed.

mckenzie Fri 08-Aug-08 17:24:09

Well I did it and we are now home safe and sound. DS loved it in the front seat, I put it back as far as it would go without squashing DD's legs. And a good time was had by all at the park smile. I rather liked having DS next to me, made me feel less like a chauffeur.

JuniorH Sat 09-Aug-08 20:35:59

God I never thought about the airbag! My 6yo always sits in the front if its just me and him in the car. Thanks for starting this post, made me think! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now