Talk

Advanced search

General advice on travelling with a 5 month old

(9 Posts)
finallypregnant Thu 07-Aug-08 14:54:45

We're planning a trip to Dubai in December when DS will be 5 months old. Can you tell me what you did with the following:

a. Sterilised bottles or is it safe to have stopped by then?

b. Dealt with boiling water etc? DS used to room temp formula so that's not a problem. Should we take a travel kettle?

VinegarTits Thu 07-Aug-08 14:59:34

I think you need to carry on sterilising your bottles for your dc's first year, can you take some milton and cold water sterilise them there? are you in a hotel? Hotel should have a kettle in the room, check with them.

mamadiva Thu 07-Aug-08 15:19:20

Yes take a travel kettle as you'll need it to make up feeds and to make water safe for drinking.

And yes take a steriliser or something. I used to use milton tablets/fluid with tesco sterilising box its just a small box that hlds 2 bottles I think.

This looks good though

mamadiva Thu 07-Aug-08 15:19:49

You cpould also use ready made formula iof you have the cash.

finallypregnant Thu 07-Aug-08 15:28:19

Ready made would be heavy in the suitcase but I forgot about Milton stuff so that is good.

Will take kettle but do you boil bottled water or just tap water. Need to investiage Dubai water situation.

Neeerly3 Thu 07-Aug-08 15:34:12

we went to jersey (not as glam as dubai!) when my dt's were 5 months - we used steribottles and ready made formula since we could buy it there. We took sterilising bags and hung them round the taps in the bath for dummies etc.

I think you can boil the local tap water as that will kill anything nasty.....ask for a kettle in your room? save u packing one.

finallypregnant Thu 07-Aug-08 15:39:45

Will do. Forgot about those steribottles too. Those seem like a good idea so could use those nearer the time too. Thanks everyone.

Nbg Thu 07-Aug-08 15:45:00

Ok, we took a tub of formula in the suitcase.
If you do this, take out the silver film from the inside and then sellotape the lid down.
We didnt do this and had a slight formula explosion from the pressure.

We also took milton tablets.
So we washed the bottles with boiled bottled water. I could have probably just used boiled tap water but I didnt dare risk it tbh, then sterlised them in the sink with a milton tablet.
We then made the bottles up with boiled bottled water.
I also got some cartons for days when I couldn't be bothered.

I would contact where you are staying and ask if they provide a kettle.
Our accomodation didnt have them and we ended up hiring one because it was complete PITA boiling water in a casserole pot.

HTH

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 15:58:08

We took a couple of bottles and a travel cold water steriliser when we traveled with our little one. I was still breastfeeding so the bottles were only for use if I had trouble finding somewhere to feed him

Also took lots of milton wipes to clean the sink and surfaces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now