Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Great Caribbean Family destination

(9 Posts)
mrspink27 Fri 11-Feb-05 23:35:04

Hi everyone,
hope you can come up with a few suggestions!
DH is determined to take dd1 (2 nearly 3) and dd2 (6mths) on a long haul caribbean holiday in the late spring , early summer this year. He used to live overseas as a child and wants to revisit the caribbean.
No complaints!

But desperately searching for a really good hotel which will accommodate our family, maybe a kids club for dd1 and a relaxing time for the grown ups!

Has anyone been? Do you have any suggestions?
Spent far too much time clicking through page after page of website after website to be none the wiser!

Thanks in advance
mrs.pink27

RTKangaMummy Fri 11-Feb-05 23:47:47

when is hurricane season

is that summer?

have never been there though

mrspink27 Sat 12-Feb-05 00:02:14

i have absolutely no idea!

Allycat Sat 12-Feb-05 00:07:28

Well if you have a few thousand quid to spent then Sandals do a range called Beaches which cater for kids. But I warn you - it is very expensive. Other than that I reckon as near to USA as possible should be pretty safe. We are off to Hawaii this July for our honeymoon with ds1 (6y) and ds2 (1y then) as it was the only place I could find without them needing jabs. I reckon talk to a travel agent - not your usual Thomson etc but find an independent one who seems to know what they are talking about. Good luck x

turquoise Sat 12-Feb-05 00:08:25

I think high season is winter, so summer would be variable. We were in Antigua around Easter a few years ago, and it was fantastic then on our last day the weather changed, waves were huge, seaweed all over the beach and that was it for the season apparently.
Also went to St Thomas, but that was late autumn I think. But the Carribean is pretty spread out - there's bound to be somewhere thats seasonable at any time?

turquoise Sat 12-Feb-05 00:17:12

This is where we went in Antigua - we got a last minute deal and it was great (bit run down but I believe it's been done up since) with a kid's club.
Have also been here on St Thomas but over 10 years ago pre children. It was amazing though, best snorkelling and diving I've ever seen.
Have you been to holidays-uncovered.com? When you've got a short list, it's well worth looking at - just reviews from ordinary people, very blunt.

Allycat Sat 12-Feb-05 00:20:15

Oh forgot to mention. Don't forget to look at tripadvisor.com when you have chosen a hotel to see the reviews people have submitted. Also, Virgin do a range of hotels for families - they are normally quite a trustworthy lot.

highlander Sat 12-Feb-05 05:04:05

what about Sunsail in Antigua? Their kids clubs are supposed to be second to none

Ameriscot2005 Sat 12-Feb-05 06:28:24

We went to FDR in Jamaica two years running with our five kids.

It's a small all-inclusive resort geared at families. Every family is allocated a vacation nanny who looks after the children when you don't want to. This means you can veg out on the beach, do scuba diving, sit at bar, or whatever while the children are off making tee-shirts, playing games, etc. When you decide you want to take your child out on a canoe, you just tell the nanny - there are no club schedules to conform to.

There's children's, family and adult entertainment. The food is plentiful and good.

FDR

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now