Talk

Advanced search

Stuff to do in Swindon

(19 Posts)
MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 05-Aug-08 16:31:27

We have to go to Swindon in a few weeks for a wedding, we have a day either side of the nuptials to kill - is there anything at all in Swindon to do??

EffiePerine Tue 05-Aug-08 16:32:49

the countryside around is lovely

I'd skip Swindon itself though grin

mufti Tue 05-Aug-08 16:34:41

do you have dc's, what ages
there is superbowl , multiplex cinemas, ice rink, swimming

NigellaTheOriginal Tue 05-Aug-08 16:35:33

avoid swindon - do Avebury, walks across the countryside. if rain do the designer outlet village or Steam museum or Oasis swimming with big water slides. walk in Savernake forest. samedodgy soft play bits best avoided if possible.

NigellaTheOriginal Tue 05-Aug-08 16:35:58

cinema, ice scating, bowling etc etc.

KazzaL Tue 05-Aug-08 16:36:16

There is the Steam musuem which is right next to the outlet shopping centre - always good - DH takes DS to look at the trains and I shop

NigellaTheOriginal Tue 05-Aug-08 16:36:44

laser quest?

actually like o point out I don't live in Swindon - but near. where's your wedding MRs F?

hughjarssss Tue 05-Aug-08 16:38:56

Agree with avoiding swindon

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 05-Aug-08 16:50:20

Children are teenagers and a littley.
We won't have any transport so looks like we are stuck in Swindon itself sad is it really as bad as it's said?!

I have no idea where the wedding is, some village on outskirts Upper something or other.

chonky Tue 05-Aug-08 16:53:01

Head north to Cirencester or south to Marlborough. Wonderful park in Ciren.

Could try the S.T.E.A.M museum in Swindon (rail museum), or the outlet village?

mufti Tue 05-Aug-08 16:55:32

THE old town still has charm, and a nice park
i dont think the town centre is any worse than any other large town,they are all so similar nowadays in the shops/chains you see

NigellaTheOriginal Tue 05-Aug-08 16:56:01

bus? lunch out and a walk? it's not that bad (really)

hughjarssss Tue 05-Aug-08 16:58:42

Last time I went to Swindon town centre it was very run down

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 05-Aug-08 16:59:06

Hubby says we should go and see the Magic Roundabout hmm

mufti Tue 05-Aug-08 17:01:55

not really a tourist attraction

PrincessPeaHead Tue 05-Aug-08 17:04:08

give us the name of the village and we will tell you where to go
upper?? can't think what that might be

If it is a village outside swindon it will be within striking distance of marlborough/cirencester/malmesbury/almost anywhere nicer than swindon grin

ScummyMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 17:04:48

omg your poor friends getting married in Swindon. shocksad We had to go there to buy beer and clean up vomit soaked car sick son on the way to the big chill this weekend and it is the grimmest no no of a dump I've been in for some time. The locals we asked for directions were completely bemused and unable to help but we forgave them because they had to live in the place we were travelling through with dismay.

Will you have a car? surrounding countryside v pretty.

MrsWeasley Tue 05-Aug-08 17:05:55

Swindon has a really good bus service so if you want to travel about it is easy.

The oasis swimming pool has big slides and a wave machine every 20 minutes which the kids love.

Health Hydro is in the town centre.

Steam Museum is popular

Lydiard park Lots of space to run around and a big play park.

bowling

this cinema is on the same site as the bowling and also near to the link Centre. The link centre is good for swimming and ice skating.

What sort of things do you like doing?

mummyplonk Tue 05-Aug-08 18:22:43

I second Lydiard park, lovely grounds and a fab adventure playground suitable for all ages (and free) if weather is good, this is in west Swindon.

If weather bad, agree a trip to "The Outlet village" which has the Steam museum attached to it will kill a few hours shopping/eating etc.

Like any town it has it's good and bad places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now