Talk

Advanced search

Hotels in Harrogate/Ripon/Thirsk/N Yorkshire

(28 Posts)
tortoiseSHELL Tue 05-Aug-08 13:22:16

Can anyone recommend a lovely hotel in N Yorkshire - preferably round about Harrogate. It's for dh and me, so not bothered about child friendliness, but would like it to be lovely! Thanks!

tortoiseSHELL Tue 05-Aug-08 13:58:26

bump

tortoiseSHELL Tue 05-Aug-08 16:10:38

bump again!

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:13:11

Hello, I have some time, hang on, will tell you where I'd stay. What about Hotel du vin or did you decide not to there?

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:25:45

Rudding Park comes up top on tripadvisor but I have to says its doesn't do it for me although there are virtual tours so hang on, will go and look elsewhere. When are you going?

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:27:43

Mr and Mrs Smith comes up with The Balmoral, will look at their website.

elkiedee Tue 05-Aug-08 16:28:11

I've not actually stayed there but been to events there but thought for proper hotels the Crown Hotel has lovely, helpful staff. We weren't even staying there but they looked after our rucksack and travelcot until we could check in to the Travelodge over the road, and then again the next day. Otherwise I've stayed at Cedar Court which was ok but not lovely, and at a B&B run by a very nice couple, but I think that's not what you're looking for. Other posh ones are the Majestic - I think St George Swallow and the Swan (famous for its Agatha Christie connection) are less grand, and a lot of people staying at the Swan the year the Harrogate Crime Festival was there were less than impressed.

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:28:49

looks MUCH nicer than that golf one, don't go to the golf one the rudding, this is sexier

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:30:22

decent reviews on tripadvisor for the Balmoral - there's the odd not great one but there usually are.

ninja Tue 05-Aug-08 16:30:22

Hotel du Vin is lovely (I stayed there on my wedding night), but I suspect pricey (Mum paid!!).

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:31:20

I really do think hotel du vin is your best bet, the showers are huge, and they have a good reputation. Hang on will check tripadvisor for you.

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:34:20

HDV reviews are ok on tripadvisor

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:39:19

Is Leeds any good? here

tortoiseSHELL Tue 05-Aug-08 16:40:31

Thanks, will look through these in detail later - the Balmoral looks lovely www - probably more our 'style' than HdV - but will look at that too. Thanks! Any other suggestions welcome (outside Harrogate as well).

Still keeping fingers crossed that this all works - is dependent on my parents not wimping out of having the children!

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:40:39

Just looked at the virtual tour of the suite, v nice!

lilyloo Tue 05-Aug-08 16:42:08

ooh glad i saw this was going to book somewhere for dp birthday.
Might be worth checking out laterooms.com esp if you can go mid week.

tortoiseSHELL Tue 05-Aug-08 16:42:33

Www - I am so glad you are on this thread - I haven't stayed in a hotel since our honeymoon, and dh found that one, and am clueless about finding nice ones!

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:43:10

Just looked on Laterooms and The Balmoral is only 3*, it looks MUCH nicer than that on their website. And cheaper than hdv.

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:44:22

Ts, you know me, I am VERY fussy and won't go unless I have checked laterooms and tripadvisor and conde nast traveller and Mr and MRs Smith, and I have satisfied myself that the room will be nice!

Will just pop and look on lastminute.com for you too

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:52:37

Laterooms isn'#t coming up with anything else that looks great. If it were me I'd go with The Balmoral, it looks opulent and sexy. Guardian list although no review

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 16:57:31

Blimey, wonder if someone at The Graun is getting a bung from the Balmoral?! Look at this:

10 best chic autumn escapes AND

5 best new boutique hotels AND

5 best Christmas breaks

!! hey, but all good stuff, I think I'd go for that one. Let me see if I can find a virtual tour. And when roughly? email me with date and no of nights and I'll see what best price I can get you.

tortoiseSHELL Tue 05-Aug-08 16:59:53

We haven't totally fixed when - round about the 31st October, prob 2 nights!

Will show dh Balmoral website tonight or tomorrow (am going out to Mamma mia tonight smile ), and see what he thinks!

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 17:02:48

OMG, you've got to go there and go for The Windsor suite, it's £220 a night and looks fab. And I just messed around with the booking dates and some are £175 for that room. Hang on, will check LAterooms too.

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 17:05:29

Oh no, the suite is coming up as full on those 2 nights on laterooms but you should call them direct and see. Also, make sure you tell them it's your wedding anniversary if you don't get that room, they might upgrade you or send Champagne up (we got Champagne and cake for dh's birthday at One Aldwyhch and upgraded at the Great Eastern on our wedding anniversary)

tortoiseSHELL Wed 06-Aug-08 12:45:39

After all that, I was all ready to book the Balmoral, which looked lovely, dh wasn't sure, because he thought it looked a bit 'over opulent' hmm, but the thing that stopped me booking it was the 'a la carte' breakfast - I think we'd both prefer a buffet style.

So, I had a bit more look, and have booked here for 2 nights - the first night they are doing a special offer, as shown here, the 'pamper your partner' and then the second night we can go out into Harrogate to eat if we want to. What do you think? I hope it will be nice - it has good reviews (www, your pages were really useful!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now