Talk

Advanced search

Should I put a nappy on my recently potty trained (but still plenty of accidents) 2 year old for duration of journey ...?

(16 Posts)
PiperG Mon 04-Aug-08 19:37:27

Just trying to work out whether to do this or not - am travelling alone with 2 year old and 8 month old from Stansted to France, and am wondering if it's dreadful to put a nappy on her for the duration of our journey so it makes things a bit easier for me - not having to deal with potential poos on the airport floor or rushing to the loo all the time with baby and bags in tow - anyone got any thoughts?

girliefriend Mon 04-Aug-08 19:47:14

hmmm a tricky one, I prob would use pull ups on and treat them still very much as if they were pants iyswim! So still have lots of loo breaks. I didn't do this when my dd was a couple of months potty trained and we went on a long car journey and typically got stuck in a load of traffic with a hysterical toddler because she was desperate for a wee and couldn't hold it! Also caused lots of extra work sorting out the car seat! xXx

NoBiggy Mon 04-Aug-08 19:50:29

Lordy yes. Go with pull ups. Stop for the loo as if they were pants, but if there's an accident it's not a disaster.

TotalChaos Mon 04-Aug-08 19:51:11

Yes, agree with girliefriend. As you may get delays/toilet requests at highly inconvenient moments etc.

noonar Mon 04-Aug-08 19:54:15

when dd1 was 2.5 we went to lanzarote. we put pulls ups on her for the same reasons as you. shortly after take off she needed a wee, but refused to go in her pull up! i had to 'climb'a very steep aisle to the loos well before the seatbelt sign went off blush

cmotdibbler Mon 04-Aug-08 19:55:08

Oh yes. Pull ups, but still visits to the loo. You do not want to be taking off with someone weeing all through their clothes and seat because you just can't go to the loo.

Dragonhart Mon 04-Aug-08 20:17:47

I used pull-ups for ds when potty training and still do when we go on long journeys (PIL live 4 hours away and my dad lives 7 hours away). Ds doesnt wee in them anymore but when you are on the motorway, it is not always easy to stop and he doesnt always have a lot of time between telling me and actually doing it. He gets upset if he has an accident so it works for all of us.

Also I found those portable potties really useful as you can just whip it out anywhere and stick the bag in the bin. After the bags it came with ran out, I used good quality nappy sacks and put a toilet roll in the bag it came with. Then I could wipe bottoms and stick the toiletpaper in the bag to soak wee up and stick it in a bin. Much cheaper than the proper bags for it.

PiperG Mon 04-Aug-08 20:29:47

thanks all - will go with the pull ups, so she can still go to the loo if it's not horribly inconvenient, but will make my life a million times easier!

anotherdayyetanothernickname Mon 04-Aug-08 23:00:33

Definitely the pull-up just in case plus loo visits. I've heard to many stories of young children weeing their pants on take off when they are not allowed to go to the loo and then having to deal with a soggy seat as well as a soggy child!

We did this the first time we flew after ds was trained and called them special 'plane pants' to differentiate and so he didn't feel he was going back in nappies.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 04-Aug-08 23:02:58

As the others, but I would just use nappies. Mine is still in a nappy at night, and still wee's in nappy in the morning. You don't want to be sitting in wee on the plane - and also you need hands for the baby.

malfoy Mon 04-Aug-08 23:04:34

haven't read the thread but YES, god YES to back to nappies/ pull ups.

We did this with our DS.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 04-Aug-08 23:06:06

pmsl at 'plane pants'

Does he put them on over his tights? grin

anotherdayyetanothernickname Mon 04-Aug-08 23:07:48

Given you are PYSL I should send some over for you too wink.

My ds IS superman so yes on the outside grin

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 04-Aug-08 23:11:47

Oh I wish, ds2 is just potty trained and goes bezerk at us trying to put anything other than his new pants on.

DP put a nappy on him the other night and he woke us all up at 3am screaming and trying to take it off!

Luckily he is dry most nights (only 27m!!) otherwise I'd be buried under mounds of washing.

He's in bed naked tonight, went bezerk even at pyjamas...

We are not going anywhere further than local journeys for the forseeable future. Thats the excuse I've given mil and I'm sticking to it grin

vesela Mon 04-Aug-08 23:31:13

I wish I could wear pull-ups on a plane. I always want to go while the seatbelt sign's still on...

Good luck!

gigglewitch Mon 04-Aug-08 23:42:54

we go for the trainer pants and potty-under-the -front-seat plan, unless it is afternoon or eve and they're guaranteed to sleep, in which case it's pull-ups with their undies over hmm sounds weird but it humours them to put up with the pull-ups. Long journey and problems stopping (we tow a caravan for hols so both of these things are guaranteedgrin) means a certainty for the pull-ups and her fave pink undies over!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now