Talk

Advanced search

In-car dvd player for long car journey - carisickness?

(13 Posts)
sophy Mon 04-Aug-08 19:23:23

We have a 10 hour car journey across Europe coming up shortly. DH wants to buy a dvd player from ebay to keep the dc (6 and 9) quiet for part of the journey.

In past have found audio cds very good - complete works of Roald Dahl have kept them quiet for 3+ hours - but have never done such a long journey before.

My worry about DVD player is that ds1 sometimes gets carsick and I wondered if this might make the problem worse? Anyone else in similar situation who can advise me?

Do not need advice about acceptability or not of kids watching dvds in cars,as per previous threads, thanks!

Kbear Mon 04-Aug-08 19:25:46

We do a 10 hour car journey and the kids watch dvds and have never complained about feeling sick. However if they read books they do feel sick. They aren't ever physically sick, just feel queasy so I maybe your child's car sickness is more severe.

forevercleaning Mon 04-Aug-08 19:26:40

we use ours when driving in Europe and have not had any carsickness whilst they have been watching.

One of ours does suffer from it, but not whilst watching, it seems to take their mind off it!

Suppose you can just try it and see.

sophy Mon 04-Aug-08 19:28:29

That's helpful Kbear, thanks. DS1 feels sick if he reads or on windy roads but has only actually thrown up once (after a big lunch!) so might be OK.

Anyone else got any experience to share?

teslagirl Tue 05-Aug-08 19:31:52

DS1 (8) gets carsick but he was fine with the (borrowed) DVD. It's the windy roads that get to him, but on a straight, fast motorway or autobahn, not a problem. Eats the miles too!

DO tell, was there a 'Bad Mommy' thread about DVD use in cars? Tee hee!

GordonTheGopher Tue 05-Aug-08 19:33:36

Mine was a godsend. I got a double one from Halfords.

There may well be a link to carsickness but I guess you may have to experiment!

unfitmother Tue 05-Aug-08 19:37:55

DD gets carsick but DVD player (for long journeys only) does not appear to have any effect on this.
I'm hoping she's growing out of it.

NigellaTheOriginal Tue 05-Aug-08 19:40:23

I get travel sick - am o.k if sat in the front but barf if so much as try to read a map. i have been known to climb in the back with the DDs and watch a DVD (obviously DH doing the driving - not me)with no probs. they're a fab invention for looooong journeys.

unfitmother Tue 05-Aug-08 19:42:55

I was furious with DH when he bought ours, but wouldn't be without it now, PILs live in Scotland so it's great for that journey.
From a motion sickness point of view it could actually help as they will be looking ahead.

RubyRioja Tue 05-Aug-08 19:45:38

dd pukes relentlessly with ours. we have reverted to audio books

Cappuccino Tue 05-Aug-08 19:46:42

sometimes dd2 is sick in front of ours and sometimes not

we think it is something to do with her being hot rather than the dvd

we make sure she doesn't do long journeys in a jumper and that has helped

RubyRioja Tue 05-Aug-08 19:47:52

we do not consider ourselves to be on hols until someone has puked.
We have a special bowl for it.
And accessible spare clothes
tis tedious

sophy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:29:19

Thanks all for feedback.

General consensus seems to be that it shouldn't be a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now