Talk

Advanced search

Troubles worldwide are enough to panic British holidaymakers into cancelling their trips abroad

(7 Posts)
SNoraWotzThat Mon 04-Aug-08 15:56:44

After reading a post on MN from "in the news" and a MNer hoping people avoid Antigua, I wanted to post this as some might be considering, what to do for the best.

Full article here Let's put things into perspective www.travelweekly.co.uk item by Penny Wilson, editor-in-chief (01 August 2008)

Quote "This week has seen fires in Rhodes, bombings in Istanbul and Torremolinos, a Californian earthquake and a hole in a Qantas aircraft.

Our hearts go out to those caught up in these incidents, and to the families and friends of the British honeymooners shot in Antigua. But what we don't need right now is sensationalist press tarnishing holiday jewels.
" end quote.

This is such rare and terrible thing that has happened and my thoughts are with the families and not on punishing the island or the people that live there. One person has done a terrible injustice to two young people. This one person may not even be on the island any more.

spokette Mon 04-Aug-08 16:15:44

What about the two French students who were recently grusomely murdered in London. Should all foreign students stop coming to the UK because of an isolated incident. Of course not.

Perspective and common sense are what is needed.

SNoraWotzThat Mon 04-Aug-08 16:21:00

Very true spokette

anotherdayyetanothernickname Mon 04-Aug-08 17:25:45

Completely agree. It's so easy to get worked up into a fervour of thinking places are much more unsafe than they are.

Shit happens everywhere. Obviously I'm not booking a holiday to Baghdad but perspective is important.

bozza Mon 04-Aug-08 17:28:38

LOL that is the first I knew about the torremolinos bomb and we were in Benalmadena (adjacent resort) at the time.

ladymariner Mon 04-Aug-08 17:42:21

We're going to Turkey in a couple of weeks, hadn't considered not going.

Marina Mon 04-Aug-08 18:06:05

Very true spokette. Can't imagine what the small rural community one of those students came from must be thinking of London these days.
We had our honeymoon on Corsica in the midst of an escalation of Nationalist letter-bombings/assassinations etc
We got some raised eyebrows from going through with the booking.
Like Antigua, the troubles in Corsica at that time rarely overlapped with tourism. We had no problems at all.
These days the only "safe" place to holiday is your own front room, provided you can afford the gas charges to heat it in winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now