Talk

Advanced search

Need somewhere to meet up not far off the A303 in Dorset-ish/Wilts-ish. Is Stourhead a good place for lots of small children?

(18 Posts)
oi Sun 03-Aug-08 21:23:39

Need to meet my sister to drop something off and we've agreed that part way down the A303 will be a good place to meet (sort of half way between us) and Stourhead is perfectly situated for this but I've never been.

so

- does it have a decent cafe?
- somewhere for the kids to stretch legs?
(will be 6 children, all under 7)
- and will it be heinously busy on a Sunday morning in August, I reckon we could make it there by 11ish?

Many thanks

oi Sun 03-Aug-08 21:31:30

oi Sun 03-Aug-08 21:39:04

why is everything falling off the board so quickly grrr

FluffyMummy123 Sun 03-Aug-08 21:40:13

Message withdrawn

oi Sun 03-Aug-08 21:42:36

aah thanks.

It's more her kids I'm worried about (6, 4, nearly 2 and a new born). Mine are big enough to behave ok-ish now and are quite fond of these NT cafes <ponces>.

ahundredtimes Sun 03-Aug-08 21:42:59

Yes, we like v. much. Good cafe outside the main garden, near the car park. Big cafe too, and another non NT one somewhere else.

They'll like I reckon. Good running around, good grottoes to climb in. Outside gardens big estate, space for football etc.

FluffyMummy123 Sun 03-Aug-08 21:43:37

Message withdrawn

ahundredtimes Sun 03-Aug-08 21:43:56

You can pick up children's Find A Tree Maps.

[uber pushy parent tree spotting ponce]

FluffyMummy123 Sun 03-Aug-08 21:44:15

Message withdrawn

ahundredtimes Sun 03-Aug-08 21:45:07

Yes, probably.

Well you know, you walk along a path, find a stick, drag it along a bit. Climb in the grottoes. Look for a tree. Throw something in pond.

Have never been High Season must admit.

We went last week. They wouldn't let the dog in shock We walked The Estate.

ahundredtimes Sun 03-Aug-08 21:46:11

lol. Not really, nobody gives a fig about trees.

I'd meet there. Go to the NT place, v.g for small children all those highchairs. And if the formal gardens look too full of OAPs go around the estate.

oi Sun 03-Aug-08 21:46:41

lol poor JJ

sounds perfect

is a very good central meet up point for us from london with peeps darn south and west thinking about it

ahundredtimes Sun 03-Aug-08 21:49:15

You might find it too naice.

There might be better places. I've never gone High Season though, other than the other week have always gone in Winter. [disclaimer]

Bowood has a big adventure playground. But further over towards Chippenham.

ahundredtimes Sun 03-Aug-08 21:50:05

And I actually have no idea what or where the A303 is. I don't know nuffin about roads.

vonsudenfed Sun 03-Aug-08 21:50:19

It's just down the road from us, and I go most weeks for some exercise with dd; it's always full of children, and as long as they're not so mad they're going to run into the lake, it's perfect.

And if they are that mad, just go and walk up round the house or to the obelisk - actually that's a great walk with lots of lawn and no water at all.

Cafe v childfriendly too, loads of outside space, highchairs, cupboard of toys.

And yes, it does get busy, but it's big enough to absorb everyone.

oi Sun 03-Aug-08 21:53:26

sounds marvellous

I seem to know most A roads round that area after getting lost on the way to Bath once and discovering half of Somerset and Wilts in one very long evening smile.

oi Sun 03-Aug-08 21:55:13

thanks

as long as we can have a stroll and get a seat in the caf and scoff down some brunch-ish type food, I'll be happy.

teslagirl Tue 05-Aug-08 19:28:38

I took my DSs, 6 and 8 recently and it was a huge success. Lots of burning off energy paths, a nice 'spooky' grotto, miles of paths around the lake, good caff (but NT expensive, be warned!) AND we had a stroll through the house which was quite a bonus really. Not overwhelming at all- quite modest by the standards of the time but the DSs who are NOT culturally minded enjoyed it and gasp! EVEN did the quiz!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now