Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

venice for a 7 yr old?

(6 Posts)
ipanemagirl Sat 02-Aug-08 13:59:34

Any advice for a friend who is taking her 7 yr old to Venice in a few weeks?

StormInanEcup Sat 02-Aug-08 21:10:50

Message withdrawn

ipanemagirl Sat 02-Aug-08 21:44:39

thanks! I'll pass that advice on! What's a book walk? Excuse ignorance!?!

notcitrus Sat 02-Aug-08 22:40:23

Get one of the travel passes so you can hop on and off canalboats. Go to Murano where they make the glass, and there's loads of free demos where you can watch them blowing and pinching the glass - there's a glass museum and galleries of impressive glass art on the island too. Burano has pretty coloured houses and a fairly boring lace museum but you can watch the elderly ladies making lace.

Shops where they sell proper papier mache masks are also fascinating because there's masks for all sorts of animals - I was so tempted by a wonderful realistic elephant one on my honeymoon...

Wandering the back streets and buying icecreams, and picnics on some of the small islands, are great. Restaurants away from the Piazza San Marco are cheaper and often better (ask in a hotel for recommendations), but when my parents took me and I was 7 I did a lot of sitting in piazzas with one parent and icecream/slab of pizza and an Italian coloring book, while other parent looked at something historical. If she wants to tire her dd out, you can climb up the Campanile but possibly not an idea in August heat. St Marks is much less crowded if you turn up in late afternoon - worth a quick look but not a tour.

StormInanEcup Sun 03-Aug-08 01:55:36

Message withdrawn

ipanemagirl Sun 03-Aug-08 12:49:54

thanks, I'll pass all this on. I"m so jealous, would love to go to Venice again, haven't been for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now