Talk

Advanced search

Where is your ideal summer family holiday?

(21 Posts)
bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 21:26:34

...I am look for ideas smile

We want to book next years holiday (first one for a few years grin) and need inspiration!

Where is your favourite holiday destination?
Why?

Key criteria is:
Must be child/family friendly - we don't want any partying resorts
Must have a good beach - we love the beach and spend most of our day there!
Must not be too far to fly - am thinking about a max of 4hrs, i don't want the plane journey to be too far as I have got 3 dd's (will be ages 9, 6 and almost 2) to entertain
Must be warm but not red-hot - will be going in May.

C'mon - where do you go?

DiscoDizzy Fri 01-Aug-08 21:28:33

Portugal!
Have been to both Menorca and Ibiza in May, bloody freezing cold.

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 21:35:35

Mmmm have never fancied Portugal for some reason ...

shock at Menorca and Ibiza being cold!! Why did i think it would be warm there??! hmmmmm

Anotherbook Fri 01-Aug-08 21:36:57

Corsica or Sardinia

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 21:36:58

Think i'm getting the balearics mixed up with the canaries blush

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 21:37:36

Oooh have never considered those Anotherbook - what would be a good resort to go to?

Anna8888 Fri 01-Aug-08 21:38:24

A Greek island. Or an Aeolian island.

DiscoDizzy Fri 01-Aug-08 21:38:30

Balearics definitely mixed weather in May. If its your main family holiday of the year and you want warm weather, do not trust it.

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 21:42:05

But which one do you recommend Anna? Do you recommend a particular resort?

Have been to Kos, Rhodes, Crete, Skiathos and Zante 3 times.

Would definitely consider going back to Zante (tsilivi) - we love it. Would also consider going back to Kos (Kardamena) as it was the first island we went to (back when i was a little un) and i wouldn't mind going again. Part of me would really like to try something new though ...

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 21:43:00

Yes disco it is our main family holiday! And no, you're absolutely right - i don't want to take chances with the weather!

Thanks

Anotherbook Fri 01-Aug-08 21:44:14

Sorry reasons.

Corsica really lovely - pretty villages and mountains and beaches.

Sardinia not quite as pretty as far as villages but better beaches - the best we have seen here.

We love both and have several return visits.We fly easyjet and arrange own accommodation.

MingMingtheWonderPet Fri 01-Aug-08 21:59:17

Wouldn't go for Kardamena on Kos nowadays. Very much a tacky party resort, and not much of a beach.

We went to another part of Kos in May this year and weather was good.

Praia da Luz in Portugal is lovely , with a fantastic wide beach.

Would wonder what wetaher would be like in Corsica in May, surely it could be a bit changeable?

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 22:02:21

Is Kardamena tacky now?? It was beautiful! (ok it was about 20 yeas ago, but still sad)

Where did you go in kos then Ming?

Am just not sold on Portugal, i really don't know why?? ...

MingMingtheWonderPet Fri 01-Aug-08 22:05:31

Kardemena is very dodgy. would not recommend it.

We went to a Mark Warner resort on the island, which I know is not everyone's cup of tea, but it suited us well this year. I can't therefore tell you very much about the resorts as MW is quite self contained.

cba Fri 01-Aug-08 22:13:48

cyprus, always nice that time of year. usually mid twenties. georgeous weather, gorgeous beaches. Coral Bay or Protaras

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 22:18:01

Ah ok ming, thanks.

cba - Oooh have been to Protaras!! Yes, twas very very nice! Loooooong flight though. Not sure i want to risk it with a nearly two yr old??

Anotherbook Fri 01-Aug-08 22:20:05

Been to Calvi,Corsica and surrounding Balagne area 3 times as we enjoy it.Child friendly beach with shallow water and villages in the mountains just behind are like those in Provence/Languedoc in France but Corsican so maybe even nicer!.Like wandreing around Calvi town/harbour in the evening and having a meal/drink.

South of the island Porto Vecchio beaches are more white sand like Sardinia therefore considered to be better but a bit busier although you should be fine in May.
We love inland mountain Corsica - like Scotland with sun!

In Sardinia we have stayed inland at Su Gologone which had great food but too inland for good access to beaches for you.We visited the Golfo de Orosei from here though.We also stayed in the south near Pula/Chia where the Forte hotel is situated and the beautiful Chia beach which does look like the photos.Dh has also stayed in Villasimius which also had good beaches and the Costa Smeralda (where the rich go) which has smaller cove beachesand is generally expensive. Now we usually stay with Sardinian friends (where no Brits seem to go) which means in May/June we have beaches to ourselves - Dh says I can't say where wink.

Corsica is easier to arrange good accommodation IMO but Sardinia is just as good and cheaper to eat out.And the beaches...

Anotherbook Fri 01-Aug-08 22:24:54

We have been to Corsica in May and it was really quite good but not guaranteed sun .The week before we went(also in May) they had had thunderstorms. Sardinia seems always a bit sunnier although July last year was too hot (40 C).

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 22:27:30

Wow, lots to look at there! Thanks Anotherbook smile

Anna8888 Fri 01-Aug-08 22:44:25

In Greece I adore Folegandros. Also Mytilene, Milos, Symi, Hydra (Bratsera Hotel)...

Salina in the Aeolian Islands is fabulous (Hotel Signum).

bluenosesaint Fri 01-Aug-08 23:12:17

Thanks Anna - will take a look at those smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now