Talk

Advanced search

Jet lag in 5 month old

(8 Posts)
wonderingmum Fri 01-Aug-08 19:22:55

I'm about to take my DD (5 months) overseas and treat her to 8 hours jet lag. Any tips on how to manage it? Or hints of what I should expect?

babyOcho Sat 02-Aug-08 09:16:58

We are in the same position... interested to know if anyone has any comments or tips.

You're not going to San Francisco are you? wink

wonderingmum Sat 02-Aug-08 14:37:34

Vancouver - so same time change!

babyOcho Tue 12-Aug-08 05:38:02

wonderingmum - have you gone yet??

wonderingmum Tue 12-Aug-08 20:52:33

nope. not leaving until 23rd. the only guidance I have from a friend who did it and said west was harder than east. when are you leaving?

babyOcho Wed 13-Aug-08 03:02:23

We have been in SF for almost a week now.

DD pretty much settled into the time zone without any jet lag. She was unsettled for the first couple of nights, but I think it was more to do with the different bed/cot/noises. Our apartment has the most rubbish curtains so I had to go out and get some blackout material which we peg onto the curtains at night. During the day she was her normal self.

We were tired from travelling, but still made sure that she had her bedtime routine and then put her to bed.

I've not had any real probs with jet lag either... I've had random sleep patterns in the past 5 months anyway grin

MrsSprat Wed 13-Aug-08 03:31:41

They'll be much better at coping than you are. The flight's the bigger challenge if you've not had the pleasure before.

ILovePudding Wed 13-Aug-08 06:03:52

I flew to the uk with dd when she was approx this age.

She tended to want to sleep for longer periods in the day, so I would wake her up if she had been down for longer than usual.

She also woke more frequently at night, so I just kept the room dark and suckled and cuddled her back to sleep with minimal other interaction.

It only took a couple of days for her to adjust.

Daylight is really important to get over jetlag, so make sure you all get out plenty.

Have a good trip! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now